Travel insurance

Have you had difficulty getting travel insurance after a cancer diagnosis? Or have you managed to find a reasonable quote? Join this group to share experiences and talk to people who understand what you’re going through.

Recommended Travel Insurance

MCB
Posted by

I had a stem cell transplant nearly

three years ago. Although in remission,

I am still having regular Chemo as a

preventative  measure along with various 

treatments for GvHD. 

Boots Travel Insurance were unable

to offer me an annual policy but were

happy to insure me for individual holidays

at around £25 a time for Europe. 

The policy is pretty comprehensive and

even includes medical treatment related 

to my condition. 

A bonus is that by booking my second lot

of insurance within 30 days of the first one

i was able to avoid the time-consuming

and tedious account of my medical 

history. 

They also said I will get a 20 per cent loyalty 

discount next time I book. 

OK, my wife got a whole year’s insurance for

half of what I paid for one trip. But under

the circumstances I think Boots were

very reasonable. 

They were also helpful and easy to deal

with. 

Forever hopeful 1
Posted by

MCB

Brilliant I also went with Boots really reasonable even for four nights,  much better than the thousands others want to charge. 

Have a lovely holiday. 

D

latchbrook
Posted by

Recommendations from community members

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

What is a Community Champion?

Birdsoafeather
Posted by

Thank you for these tips @latchbrook.  Looking at the thread, it looks like Boots is definitely worth a try.  I have also been recommended the following:  Insurancewith, Free spirit, World first, insurepink, allcleartravel and axa.

Wondering if anybody in the Community have had good quotes from these others?

Warm wishes to all.

Birdsoafeather
The bean
Posted by

I tried ok travel insurance good price for my 6 month single trip

Mr Mac
Posted by

I was diagnosed 2 years ago with a very rare high grade salivary carcinoma, after an 8 hour operation removing a salivary gland and 63 lymph nodes, followed by 6 weeks of radio therapy. The treatment was successful in clearing the initial cancer, however, it has got into my blood stream and I now have a patch of 19mm growing on my lungs. At the current rate of growth I am hoping that I will have at least 2 years before the cancer starts taking effect and eventually ending my life.

I am going to Poland in a couple of weeks and therefore started my search for travel insurance, this is my first post on this site and having read other posts I wish I had joined sooner.

I like so many have been declined by insurance companies as my cancer is terminal. However, as my cancer is not deemed to be terminal within the next 6 months, I have taken out an annual policy with Insure and Go for £32.00. There is an exclusion relating to my cancer which my oncologist has told me should not have an impact on my health at present, so at least I am covered if I have an accident, food poisoning or any other illness.

I hope someone finds this post helpful, and I wish you all.....the very best for the future>

latchbrook
Posted by

Recommendations from community members

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

latchbrook
Posted by

Hi and welcome to the online community

It's great to hear that you've been able to get travel insurance recently and thanks very much for taking the time to add your recommendation to this thread. I'm sure it'll be useful for others looking for insurance in the future.

I hope you have some great holidays!

x

Paul1969
Posted by

Afternoon everyone

I have today taken out annual multi-trip cover for Europe with winter sports which was £123 with an excess of £200 with Insure With. Medical loading was £42.90 for the year. Worldwide (ex USA, Canada and Mexico) was about £80 more but as nothing booked outside Europe for the next 12 months yet didn't go for that cover but can add later. Full disclosure of medical history on the phone. I always call as trying online just doesn't get anywhere.

I had acute lymphoblastic leukaemia diagnosed in 2012 with an unrelated donor stem cell transplant in May 2013.

I have used them for a number of years and always found the cover reasonably priced. In the early days post transplant (within 6 months) they did cover me on an annual cover basis although the premium at the time reflected this.Worth a call.

Paul

You can speak to someone in confidence by calling Macmillan Support on 0808 808 0000 - 365 days a year 8am to 8pm It's free from mobiles and landlines. The friendly team are waiting to take your call.

Chas1989
Posted by

Boots.

allclear quoted me £500 plus for singletrip and the adviser didn’t know what metastatic meant!

he kept going on about £50,000 repatriation costs.

boots £65 annual multitrip.

latchbrook
Posted by

Hi

I was wondering how you were getting on with your case that's with the Financial Ombudsman?

x

tpott
Posted by

Thank you for asking. I think that the FOS is inundated with these PPI cases ahead of the deadline. The case is still waiting for allocation to an adjudicator. This is a dispute over the excess only so there should be nothing to stop the insurer settling the outstanding medical bills. I have explained the situation to the US providers and they seem to be waiting now. It is all rather unnecessary really.

The bean
Posted by

Boots wouldn't insure me going to the Philippines 

latchbrook
Posted by

That's good news that the US providers are now waiting for the results of your case and not pursuing you. 

I hadn't realised that it was just the excess that you were in dispute with the insurers about. I'm not sure how to put this without sounding rude but why are you in dispute about the excess? All insurance policies have excesses which the customer has to pay with the insurer paying out anything over this amount.

Chas1989
Posted by

I didn’t post anything about excess or america.

please will you delete my account as i cant cope with this nonsense

goodbye