Travel insurance

Have you had difficulty getting travel insurance after a cancer diagnosis? Or have you managed to find a reasonable quote? Join this group to share experiences and talk to people who understand what you’re going through.

Recommended Travel Insurance

Sleepyblondie
Posted by

Wow. That sounds amazing. That’s exactly what I want

i have several medical conditions that I’ve never needed emergency treatment for. Plus it’s two years since ,y cervical cancer treatment. Insurance companies seem to think they can make a fortune from me now.  My other medical conditions had never bothere insurers before. I used to get very cheap insurance.  But adding cancer to the mix they seem to now take the other conditions much. Ore seriously. I buy cheap flights and am able to cancel accommodation up until a few days before I’m due to arrive. So I just want to I sure my belongings. I will give EURO PLUS a try   Thanks 

Ippy71
Posted by

Thanks loads for the advice on travel insurance companies. I initially tried the comparison sites as naively assumed that as I finished treatment and had surgery last year that I would be easily covered but obviously not as no quotes came up! That's when I turned to the Macmillan site for advice and found your post.

I went for a quote through Boots and they came up trumps with a very reasonably priced single trip for Europe.

Thank you

dugster74
Posted by

Hi all. I was diagnosed as having cancer in my toncil in February and have completed my treatment, had a scan shown to be clear and am now on monthly checks. I'm going Cape Verde in 3 weeks and am looking for insurance. I've seen insurancewith, boots, Mia, allcleartravel all mentioned on here and will have a look. Someone from work has recommended Asda's insurance? 

Any suggestions welcome and I'll let you know how I get on

latchbrook
Posted by

Hi  and welcome to the online community

I don't know if you'd looked all the way through this thread yet as there are lots of recommendations for travel insurance companies within it.

It is best to phone the travel companies rather than try and do online quotes. Make sure you have all the information to hand about your diagnosis and treatment before contacting the insurers. This is a list of common questions that insurers might ask when you're applying for insurance.

Some insurers will ask for a letter from your doctor to prove that they have given you permission to travel. In any case it's always best to make sure that you have checked with your doctor that it's okay to travel and that this has been recorded in your notes in case of a claim.

I do hope that you can get some reasonably priced insurance and have a lovely holiday

x

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

What is a Community Champion?

dugster74
Posted by

Thanks for that. Already had a couple of questions I struggled with! 

I'll let you know how I get on

Jac22
Posted by

Travel insurance has been of particular interest tomus because at the time of diagnosis during November 2018 (breast cancer) we had to cancel several travel plans - one being a bucket list  trip cancelled at very short notice - and our current insurer was absolutely brilliant in dealing with the situation. Unfortunately that insurer will not cover pre existing conditions and reluctantly we felt we had to seek an alternative provider who would.

A fellow patient recommended one company due to their competitive rates, but it seemed there may be issues in relation to claims and so we disregarded them. I then spoke with StaySure, AllClear and AXA via the CSPA scheme. Annual premiums we within a few pounds of each other (ignoring any subsequent discounts offered), some conditions varied but we would have been happy to go ahead with any of those providers.

Fortunately I was eligible to join the CSPA and we decided to go with AXA because it was not only a global policy - no additional costs for travelling to say America - but there were no questions to answer regarding existing conditions for either of us.

We may be paying more for cover - certainly more than pre diagnosis - but we have come to realise that we don’t know how good cover is until circumstances arise which make claims necessary.

latchbrook
Posted by

Recommendations from community members

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

What is a Community Champion?