Travel insurance

Have you had difficulty getting travel insurance after a cancer diagnosis? Or have you managed to find a reasonable quote? Join this group to share experiences and talk to people who understand what you’re going through.

Recommended Travel Insurance

PJaney
Posted by

Hi

Last year, I used InsureWith and had an annual policy for a reasonable price. This year, their quote was much higher and I got cheaper cover with Boots although couldn't get a multi-trip policy. I am about to book another holiday and will use them again.

It does take a long time - I find I always have to speak to someone rather than finish the estimate online so didn't get as many quotes as I would have otherwise.

PJaney
Posted by

I should have added that the first trip covered by Boots was a short cruise from Southampton to Honfleur and Rouen and there was a small supplement for this. 

spraylifter
Posted by

i have tried lots of companies for insurance for travel  many on the list here are looking for almost the same as the holiday is costing its self we did get lots of quotes  we got cover for my self  with post cancer and a quote for my wife  with non cancer medical issues  i would recomend at least getting a quote from insurancewith.com. the level of cover they offer is great we have used them twice already in 20/19 and about to get another quote from them for a trip next month 

latchbrook
Posted by

Hi Paul 

Can I just say that there is no new rule in this group that says that only people who have claimed on their insurance can recommend a travel insurance company. 

Anyone is welcome at any time to make a recommendation so thank you for those you've previously made and I'm sorry that I've only just seen your reply to a previous poster querying this. 

x

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

What is a Community Champion?

Rothbury17
Posted by

Most grateful for the list of insurers but I have to say the Boot platform is risible nonsense!  Many of the response options are flawed and deliberately skewed to the negative (e.g. does not permit 10+ in remission, deliberately vague language, does not recognize some cancers I.e. squamous cell cancer to the throat).  It was also difficult to navigate.

All that to be told they couldn’t quote!

Beyond a joke ...

latchbrook
Posted by

Hi  and a warm welcome to the online community

I'm glad that you have found this thread useful for finding recommendations but sorry that you've struggled with Boots website. 

With any pre-existing medical condition it's best to phone the travel companies rather than try and do online quotes for the very reasons you've outlined. Although it takes longer to do it this way it does mean that you're quoted for your exact circumstances. Unfortunately, even if you manage to answer all the questions online you will often be asked to phone the company to get the quote.

You don't say whether you've managed to find insurance yet but I hope that you have and that you have a great holiday.

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

Skippy4292
Posted by

Confused:

All, seeking your advice. I'm in remission from cancer now for 6 months, with a 3 monthly check up.

When applying for insurance do I need to declare cancer or not?

Thanks in advance

S

tpott
Posted by

I believe once you have had cancer it will always have to be declared, remission or not. 

princess.margaret
Posted by

Yes, please do!

whilst making such declarations may make getting insurance a little more difficult and expensive, not declaring “relevant facts” will almost certainly invalidate any claim you need to make.

princess.margaret
Posted by

Yes, please do!

whilst making such declarations may make getting insurance a little more difficult and expensive, not declaring “relevant facts” will almost certainly invalidate any claim you need to make.

The bean
Posted by

OK travel insurance rearly good quotes and good reviews 

Rothbury17
Posted by

HI Latchbrook,

I haven’t found an acceptable quote yet but am doggedly persistent.  Come hell or high water I will find something for Canada  

The post about ‘Which’ Insurance companies is well worth a dip into although Holidaysafe are questionable in that they (a) refuse to take account of being cancer free for 10 years and (b) whack up the excess to standard + £400

x

latchbrook
Posted by

Glad to hear that you're determined !

If you find an insurer that's currently not recommended it would be great if you could add it to the thread please.

x

latchbrook
Posted by
[deleted]

PreciousTimes
Posted by

Hi, did you manage to get your insurance sorted? Who do you suggest to contact?