Travel insurance

Have you had difficulty getting travel insurance after a cancer diagnosis? Or have you managed to find a reasonable quote? Join this group to share experiences and talk to people who understand what you’re going through.

Visiting the USA

Southdown
Posted by

I was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer, which had spread into the bone, this time last year.  I've received just two palliative Radiotherapy treatments and am leading a relatively normal life, including pursing hobbies, for a 75 year old.  I have a son who lives in Colorado and am visiting him soon for a two week stay.  The problem was obtaining travel insurance.  A number of companies just didn't want to know, including my bank.  Free Spirit was recommended but they wanted a premium in excess of £11K+, yes £11K!  A call to Macmillan was made and, although they can't make recommendations, they gave me a link to this group which I accessed.  The name of Boots came up for travel insurance so I looked them up. I intended to speak with a representative but a15% discount is given for buying on-line.  I filled in the all the questions and immediately received a quote giving various levels of cover from which to select.  No, please give us a call or a refusal.  Well, of course, I accepted and made the purchase.  The cost for my wife and myself is just under £500.00 (not the cheapest level) which, I think, is quite reasonable under the circumstances.  Thank you to Macmillan for the help and guidance and to those who post on this blog.

TeenR
Posted by

Hi Southdown 

I think the key thing is to do it online. I’m glad you got your cover sorted and hope you have a fantastic time with your son.

Teen225

latchbrook
Posted by

Hi and welcome to the online community

Thanks very much for telling us about your recent experience and I'm so pleased you've managed to find some insurance that's suitable for both you and your wife.

I hope you have a lovely holiday!

x

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

What is a Community Champion?

Travelling Man
Posted by

Hi Moderator,

so are you saying that you obtained your insurance from Boots ? My situation is very similar to yours and being very new to this blog ( only finished my chemo last week ! ) and haven’t actually seen the name of a recommended Insurance company yet ! Hope you can help.

Regards.

Travelling Man
Posted by

Sorry Southdown, just dropped you a line but may have sent it to moderator by mistake. whatever that is !!!  I’m very new to this ! Hope you receive this.

Once again, apologies,

Best regards

Travelling Man
Posted by

Hi Southdown. Me again. I think I only addressed it to moderator but still sent it to you !! Let me know if you received it ok.

sorry again !!

Regards

Southdown
Posted by

Hello Travelling Man

Well, I've received all three emails you sent so something has worked!  Before I went to the States I was getting desperate as no insurance company wanted to know me or wanted to charge a huge premium.  I checked out the Boots website where there is an insurance section.  I applied online and obtained 5 levels of insurance without any problem.  There may be other companies which will consider you but the search can be both frustrating and disheartening.  Other people in this Community may also have some ideas which could help.

All the best for your travelling.

latchbrook
Posted by

Hi

I hope you don't mind me butting in to your conversation with Southdown but I noticed that you said that you "haven't actually seen the name of a recommended insurance company yet". I presume that you haven't had the opportunity to take a look at this link I provided to the thread entitled Recommended Travel Insurance yet. When you do you'll find lots of recommendations. 

Best wishes

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

What is a Community Champion?

Travelling Man
Posted by

Many thanks Latchbrook, will do.

Regards

Travelling Man
Posted by

Many thanks Southdown. Glad you got the e mails. I’m not really too crazy as a rule !! I’ll check out Boots.

Regards