Travel insurance

Have you had difficulty getting travel insurance after a cancer diagnosis? Or have you managed to find a reasonable quote? Join this group to share experiences and talk to people who understand what you’re going through.

Looking for Insurance for Caribbean Cruise

charlie_ocs
Posted by

I am wondering if anyone can help, I've booked to go on a 2 week Caribbean Cruise in November with my Mum. Unfortunately, I was diagnosed with Womb & Ovarian Cancer last February and have since undergone hysterectomy, chemotherapy and brachytherapy. Fingers crossed I'm on the mend now! 

I've previously had single trip insurance for a holiday in Mexico with InsuranceWith, but as I have never been on a cruise before, I had no idea it was a separate insurance and I'm struggling to find somewhere reasonably priced. 

Has anyone else had insurance for a Caribbean Cruise and if so, who did you find the most reasonable? 

At the moment I'm getting quotes of around £600 - £1000, or some of the companies are asking me to put ALL countries we will be visiting, and they are not letting me add all twelve countries/islands. 

Any help would be much appreciated. 

Charlene 

Mitzie10
Posted by

Hi Charlene

I went on a Caribbean Cruise 6 weeks after finishing Chemo, having had a scan and my OPA. So then I was just having routine follow up. All this makes a difference to quotes! 

I have Travel Insurance with my Nationwide Flex plus Account but they wouldn’t give me cover, or even quote, for my NETs. However it did cover me for cancellation and everything else. I then just took out Medical Cover with insurancewith a couple of weeks before we went in January this year, cost £149.33 which I was delighted with 

I didn’t have to list all the islands either!

hope you find something as we really enjoyed the Cruise 

Christine x

PTZ
Posted by

Hi Christine

I was on a Caribbean cruise in January and while on the cruise paid a deposit for another one for January 2019. Since returning home I was diagnosed with kidney cancer and had the kidney removed in April. My follow up scans show the cancer completely removed and I will be having 6 monthly check ups to review the situation. 

The date to pay my remaining balance is looming and I have started to look into insurance for the trip. The cheapest I have found so far is £1,800 and this is just for the 14 night cruise. Is it possible to let me know the name of the company you took out your Medical Cover with.

Regards

PTZ

Mitzie10
Posted by

Hi PTZ

Yes it’s insurancewith.com, I found they very helpful and understanding 

good luck, you should find the contact details on their website

Christine 

Christine x

Bazza57
Posted by

I tried this company and applied via their website but at the end, I had to phone them for referral to their medical underwriters. I applied for a trip over 2 months away which you cannot do. However, I also appear to have a major problem with getting travel insurance for several reasons:

• My colon cancer classification is D0 (stage D but with all cancer cells removed - as far as they can tell)
  • my travel destination: USA
  • My trip length: 2 months

I am otherwise in very good health

Applications have to be within 2 months of travel. Can anybody offer any further advice

PTZ
Posted by

Hi Bazza57

I had the same issue when I called them as my travel date is more than 2 months away they wouldn't quote me a cost. I'm still searching different agencies but did call Insurance Choice on 01926 460922 and spoke to someone  there who was very helpful, took my details and after forwarding them to their medical underwriters called me back in 10 minutes with a quote. it was still expensive but the cheapest one I have yet received. 

If I have any further success I will post it on this site.

Regards

PTZ

Bazza57
Posted by

Thanks. I will check i tomorrow