Travel insurance

Have you had difficulty getting travel insurance after a cancer diagnosis? Or have you managed to find a reasonable quote? Join this group to share experiences and talk to people who understand what you’re going through.

Need urgent travel insurance

marvellous maz
Posted by

Going on a cruise on Saturday. Bought insurance with Insurewith about two months ago. My husbands glioblastoma was stable. Unfortunately last scan shows a small growth near original tumour. Discontinued from trial he was on. He is awaiting more chemo or another trial. Informed insurers today who will not Insure him now at all. He is perfectly ok and saw consultant today who says he is fit to travel. Any ideas or advice as to who will Insure him at a reasonable cost. Cruise is to Norway and only one week. Really upsetting as so looking forward to a holiday after a long time and tough times. Please help. 

latchbrook
Posted by

Hi  and welcome to the travel insurance group

I'm sorry to hear that your travel insurance company will no longer insure your husband for your upcoming cruise.

Over the last few months the following insurance companies have been recommended by fellow forum members as providing reasonably priced travel insurance:

• World First
  • Insurancewith
  • Boots
  • AXA PPP healthcare
  • OK To Travel
  • National Federation of Occupational Pensioners (NFOP)
  • MIA 
  • Eurotunnel

These would provide you with a good starting point. As you are going to be in Europe, Eurotunnel may be worth a look first. You don't have to be travelling with them to use their insurance and I think someone recently said that their only criteria is that your doctor has to have declared you fit to travel.

Please come back and let us know how you got on as it's always useful to know which companies are still providing decent cover at an acceptable cost.

I hope you can find something suitable so that you can continue with your holiday plans.

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

What is a Community Champion?

rdsm47
Posted by

Yes definitely try eurotunnel  as the consultant has said he is fit to travel.We found them very easy to deal with

best of luck

D x

marvellous maz
Posted by

Thank you for advice. Phoned eurotunnel and they said they wouldn't Insure him as he has a terminal illness. 

latchbrook
Posted by

Sorry to hear that Eurotunnel won't cover you 

Have you tried any of the others yet? I don't know if they'll all be the same regarding a terminal prognosis but I hope you can find cover with one of them.

x

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

Mitzie10
Posted by

It may be you need to change the phrase terminal illness, unless of course your Doctors have literally said a time frame.

My tumour is treatable but not curable but neither I or the Doctors consider me terminal.

It might help if you give us a bit of history so we can advise better

Christine x

marvellous maz
Posted by

Thanks. no actually the Consultant wouldn't give any time frames yesterday and his condition is still treatable. He is awaiting  an appointment at the Drug Development centre for a trial and if not further chemotherapy is recommended. He has Glioblastoma multiforme diagnosed February 2017 surgery,followed by radiotherapy and chemo and has been on a trial with nivolumab. April scan showed a very small suspicious area considered progression. He was taken off trial. Surgery reconsidered but felt too risky. Consultant said he was fit to travel yesterday and he has no new symptoms. Insurewith who I had the original policy said they wouldn't insure now as he is awaiting decision on treatment. Have rung Insure cancer and am awaiting decision but expect expensive. Getting desperate. 

marvellous maz
Posted by

Tried most of them but no joy. Was advised to ring Insure cancer so waiting for them to get back. Probably very pricey but don't know what else to do.

Lass
Posted by

Hey Maz,

One thing to consider is - is there a chance he will need anything cancer related while he's away on the cruise?

I ask because I'm classed as incurable, and I have 2 types of cancer, so getting someone to insure me and cover anything cancer related puts travel out of any sort of budget I have. However, I take out insurance with any old insurance company, and ask them to exclude my cancers. So if anything happens with luggage, or cancellations, delays, accident or injury etc etc - I'm insured. But if I need anything cancer related, I'm not insured. That's possible for me because of the types of cancer I have and how slowly they progress or do anything. And it means I can get insurance for a holiday for like £5.

Might be something to consider if it would suit your situation or not.

Lass

xx

Hope is important because it can make the present moment less difficult to bear. If we believe that tomorrow will be better, we can bear a hardship today. - Thich Nhat Hanh

Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters, cannot be trusted with important matters. - Albert Einstein

richardh55
Posted by

Sounds to me like his condition may not be classed as terminal by underwriters. Call Centre staff may not be best placed to make that assessment. I suggest you try Eurotunnel again, but ask to speak with someone who can help clarify the situation. 

richardh55
Posted by

The British Insurance Brokers Association may also be able to help. Also worth trying a price comparison website such as  www.moneysupermarket.com/travel-insurance

Merrytee
Posted by

Hi, try the NFOP site. All they require is that a doctor says it would be okay to travel, no questions asked or previous history required. 

latchbrook
Posted by

How have you got on with finding insurance  as I know you are due to go on your cruise on Saturday? 

chris48
Posted by

I’ve used both Explorer and Avanti insurance companies over the last few years and have several things wrong with me including prostate cancer.   I’ve recommended tbem several times on here but they aren’t on the list.  I’ve tried most of them on the list without success. 

As someone else has suggested why not try excluding it from what’s being covered?   That does seem the simple way out.  

latchbrook
Posted by

Hi

Thanks for these two suggestions. I'll add them to my list!

x