Shielding ending in Wales August 16

• 5 replies
  • 12 subscribers

Good afternoon everyone.

It has been announced that Shielding will pause in Wales on August 16th. 

I will probably be deemed fit for work by my occupational health officer who I have a consultation with soon. Whilst I am grateful that I am feeling so well physically ,I am quite anxious about my return to work. I work in the microbiology labs as a support worker so social distancing will be quite difficult at times. Any advice will be gratefully accepted 

Mark 

• Hi Mark,

Whilst it is a lot easier to social distance in my job, I asked my consultant the same questions you are asking when I had my check-up earlier in the week. His view was that the risk is definitely lower now than it was, but it hasn’t gone away so we should continue to be careful. Re: work, his view was that employers should be doing all that they can to keep us safe. So whether that be wearing of masks, moving departments, etc, they should be basically doing everything they can that will minimize the risk to us as individuals and it is a case of throwing the challenge to them as much as it is for us to work out. His view was that we are roughly at the 3 months post-transplant phase - past the very risky time but still a need to be careful and not expose ourselves to unnecessary risk.

I don’t know anything about microbiology labs, but I suppose my general advice would be to ask your employer what they are going to do to help you keep safe - can they transfer you to less risky roles? Will they ensure everyone will wear masks? What policies have they got to ensure people follow the rules, etc?

I think we are entering a tricky phase now and the overriding message I got from my consultant was to apply common sense. We all know probably better than anyone else what we are happy to do and what we are not happy to do and our employers have a duty to help us achieve the best possible solution. I’m definitely nervous about it and will be cautious when the time comes for me to go back into the office.

I hope this helps in some way,

Greg

• I am so thankful that I retired early. 

In one of my roles I am responsible for the Health and Safety of 14 staff, two coffee shops, a rather large community facility and all the folks that use these.

Over the past few weeks I have been working on our ever developing COVID compliance.

We have a few ‘vulnerable’ staff and end users. I have actively involved all the staff in making up our COVID work procedures, control measures and Risk Assessments.

Your employer will have to complete a return to work Assessment for you and you should be invited to participate in this and your circumstances should be Risk Assessed and you should be given this RA and agree to it.

I agree Greg, this all about common sense and controlling risks.

This info sheet from the WHO highlights the factors that converge to form the highest risk pinch points.

(note - the safe distancing is set at 1m so this needs to be taken into account based on the UK Guidelines) 

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi ,

I too am glad I’m retired, I was an OT and would no doubt have been pulled into working without PPE but at risk! 

For you, I think Occy Health will need to be really sure of what they advise and will need to work with your Lab to ensure your back-to-work environment is as safe as is humanly possible for you, bearing in mind you will probably always be more at risk than ‘Joe Public’. Also, you need to feel confident that all is as safe as possible and you need to feel comfortable with that. 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• Thanks for the advice folks I will keep you posted how I get on

Mark

• After speaking to my haematology team they have advised me not to go back to work till at the earliest the new year ,due to my compromised immune system and the current pandemic. My occupational health doctor has advised my manager that it is doubtful I will be able to return till June 2021. They will now be looking at a NHS ill health retirement pension.Financially this would not amount to much as I have only worked for the NHS for 5 years. This was not the result I wanted as I really enjoy my job, but the bigger picture for myself and my family is remaining healthy.
    Thanks for listening and once again I will keep you posted.