Covid-19 rules for shielding

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 16 replies
  • 12 subscribers

Hi all, 

my dad is in the high risk group and received a message from the NHS explaining that he will need to be in strict isolation for 12 weeks. It states he can “crack a window” but was wondering if anyone on here knew if he’d be allowed in the garden? Or would this be a step too far?

any help appreciated!

thank you :-) 

• Hi Lilv,

I got the exact same text about half an hour ago. Unfortunately it is pretty clear that you shouldn’t go out in the garden and must stay at least 2 metres away from anyone else living in the house. I was quite shocked at how draconian the advice was so I put out a message to my medical team although sadly I do suspect they will advise me to follow the guidance.

Wishing you and your Dad all the best,

Greg

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to greg777

Hi Greg, 

thanks for the speedy reply. Could you let me know what your medical team replies with when they get back to you please?

take care and stay safe! 

• Hi Lilv,

Of course I will, I think it’s really useful to share what people are being told. I imagine they are exceptionally busy at the moment but I’m hoping they will get round to replying to me at some point.

Greg

• Daughter got that text too but at present is reliant on igs every 3-4 weeks and waiting to be trained in August to self administer. She’s terrified of having to go in and sit around! 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to moomy

i know what you mean! I am slightly concerned that dad will still have to travel to the hospital for his 2 weekly appointment for bloods! He also has a bone marrow biopsy within this isolation period, and I just don’t know how safe it is for him to leave the house and sit in a waiting room full of people?! 

it’s not ideal at all :-( xxx

• We can but hope that it will be only the patient admitted through the door, and that they will be strict! Daughter will wear scarf, gloves etc and have a complete change of clothes in her camper van and a bag to put all worn stuff into then that gets emptied into the washing machine and she showers as soon as home. 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to moomy

Yes I am hoping they will have strict guidelines in place!

That’s a good idea, Can’t be too careful at the moment xxx

• Thanks that would be great, I am in the same boat had the text saying stay in doors. 

I live in a village with a decent sized garden that no one goes in apart from my immediate family occasionally and the dog. Less likely to get it in the garden than inside. 

• No Texts up North (yet) but my team phoned and said “.......garden is fine and set up a regular exercise routine”

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

My dad received the physical letter today and yes it says garden is fine!! He is very pleased, the little things!!Sweat smile