THIS TIME LAST YEAR!!!

• 9 replies
  • 13 subscribers

Hi everyone

Just wanted to share this:-

This time last year was my birthday, I was in an isolation ward being treated for ALL, where I had been for weeks, during which time my Mother in Law had had a fall at home and ended up in the ward below me. She passed away suddenly within a week and I helped my poor husband arrange the funeral from my hospital bed. I wasnt allowed to attend the funeral. My youngest, beautiful sister then rang to say she had been diagnosed with breast cancer. She had her lumpectomy, radiotherapy and rang the bell whilst I was still in hospital, unable to visit her.

So, when my poor husband walked into my room clutching a handful of birthday cards and a balloon I had a massive MELT DOWN!!! The nurses sent for back- up in the form of a lovely Macmillan advisor called Amanda, who talked, listened, cried and laughed with me.

One year on and one Stem Cell Transplant later, I am again enjoying life, apart from a few aches and pains I feel great and positive about my future.

When you reach rock bottom the only way is up!!!

Have a wonderful Christmas everyone!

X Wendy

• Happy Birthday Wendy xx

For the second time today, it is so encouraging to hear stories of perseverance, hope and with it good news.

I do remember back to last year and the journey you were all on, although not all forgotten, the only way indeed 'is up' from rock bottom.

My old forum sign off tag was - "Some journeys take us far from home, Some adventures lead us to our destiny"....... C S Lewis

Lets look for the next year to be a year of moving on, finding new things, full of happiness and health.

Have an amazing Christmas xx

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks Mike, I really did get myself into a dark place and couldnt see a future anymore, but thanks to the wonderful medical staff I can now look forward again.

Going away for a couple of days with Hubby for a romantic break to the Yorkshire Dales so quite giddy. First trip in eighteen months!!

Wendy X

• Have a wonderful indulgent time Wendy as you both truly deserve it.

xx

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Happy Birthday Wendy! 
    you certainly are due a celebration, enjoy the Dales and some lovely times together 

hugs xxx

Moomy

• One for the birthday wall? 

A year on a stem cell transplant journey is a very long time. Highs and lows.

After time each year merges into another. When I read about others journeys and what they are going through it brings back memories but strangely it fills me with hope. Hope that all of you on that journey will also be able to look back like I do of a time many years ago. 

I am fortunate to know people who had a SCT many years before me who give me encouragement. 1 year seems a lifetime when you are going though a SCT.. it is just the beginning of a lifetime.. enjoy the rest of the journey! 

Paul

What is a Community Champion?

You can speak to someone in confidence by calling Macmillan Support on 0808 808 0000 - 365 days a year 8am to 8pm It's free from mobiles and landlines. The friendly team are waiting to take your call.

• My son is due his SCT on 12 December.   Going to be very emotional as our 20 year old daughter is the donor.

Feeling really scared for them both 

Hayley x

Hayley 
  • Thank you for sharing. I needed this tonight xx

Hayley x

Hayley 
  • Hi Hayley I see that you have not joined this group.

I would recommend you hit the ‘Join This Group’ tab just under the main group name, then go to the 'Start a Discussion' tab and set up your very own Discussion and introduce yourself to the group and you will open yourself up the amazing support of folks who understand the journey rather well.

When you feel up to it try putting some information in your profile. This really helps others when answering. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. Just click on YOUR username, select 'Edit Profile'. Put as much or as little in your profile and you can amend it at any time - you can see members profiles by hitting our forum names.

((hugs)(

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Wish your son all the luck in the world from me. It will be hard but the medical staff are wonderful. 

Wendy X