Back in hospital

• 6 replies
  • 12 subscribers

First admission after transplant,20 weeks ago.

I have had diarrhea for about a month ,lots of tests all negative, then i spiked temperature on thursday and came straight into my local hospital.

Colonoscopy on the Friday and full upper CT scan so excellent treatment,but as usual no doctors over the weekend so no news till tomorrow. 

My temperature went very high so they are treating me for Flu as a precaution and some immodium. Otherwise feeling very frustrated as I was doing so well.

Anyone else had similar stories

Mark

• That will be a yes from me, within the first three years post my second SCT I had 5 times back in hospital (31 days) with Chest Infections, Lung Fungal Infections, the RSV Virus, Pneumonia, Septicaemia and A Fib.

Remember that the average number of hospital stays for post SCT in the first years is 2 or 3 

Hopefully this will be all over soon and you can get home.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Mark,

Really sorry you’re not feeling too good at the moment. Like Mike says, I think it is par for the course to get a few re-admissions in your first year. There can be many bumps in the road - let’s hope you get over this one nice and quickly. Re: the diarrhoea, I’m sure they’ll do lots of tests for GvHD and treat accordingly. Let’s hope it’s just your system needing some time to get itself sorted out.

Greg

• Hi Mark,

sad for you to be back into hospital but yes, they will be doing lots of tests. 
    and yes, the average for the first year is around 3 readmissions, it’s unfortunate but it’s the best place right now till they are quite sure what’s going on and can counter it. Keep that pecker up! 

hugs xxx

Moomy

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to moomy

Okay, in American English that phrase "keep that pecker up" means something totally different!!! Hint: don't say that to anyone other than your boyfriend!

• JoyJoyJoy

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi everyone.

Thanks for the replies. I came out of hospital on Friday afternoon.my temperatures finally settled on Wednesday. 

After the colonoscopy they put me on immodium for a couple of days which seemed to settle my diarrhoea. The biopsy from the colonoscopy showed mild GVHD ,however my haematology team did not put me on steroids as they said it would not have cleared so quickly had it been GVHD. It remains quite settled so fingers crossed .I was also on high dose antibiotics for a week which has left me feeling quite washed out. All in all a bit of a mystery week but hopefully I am back on the mend again.

Mark