CAR T

• 18 replies
  • 13 subscribers

Hi all, program on BBC 2 tonight ( Sunday) on the new treatment to fight cancer . I will be starting this treatment on Wednesday when I have my blood Harvested. Should be interesting but I know it will show all the bad bits as well as the good ones.

Lyn x

• Yes Lyn, all set up to record it.

All the very best for Wednesday xx

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Good luck Lyn was just going to post this too, you beat me to it

John 

we all know this is a roller coaster ride, where we ride blind, never knowing where the highs and lows are
  • Hi Lyn,

I don’t know how you’re feeling after watching that. Just wanted to wish you all the best when you start it on Wednesday. Even though it is different to SCT, I couldn’t help but think when watching it how similar it was to my experience of SCT (complications, extended hospital stays, massive uncertainty about whether it is working, etc), so please stick around here, we’ll try our best to support you as best we can as you are going through it.

All the best,

Greg

• Hi Lyn

Wishing you all the best for your treatment.

Watching the programme bought so many memories even though quite recent (past 9 months) of the tough times and anxieties throughout the process. My wife is very fortunate to now be in complete remission and not having to have SCT at this stage and hopeful of a long and clear time ahead.

I personally found the programme very moving, sad in parts for obvious reasons, but the ending I found encouraging with the successful patients listed following the trials of the 2 in the film 

Once again Lyn, my thoughts are with you and hope all goes well for you. Stay strong and believe.

Nick

• Hi Lyn,

will be thinking of you and hoping all goes well, please do post your progress as and when you can, through this amazing new treatment process! 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• Hi all, Thank you for your messages of support. It was rather concerning watching that program. However I do not have any other options . I have in the last four & a half years had Sepsis, pneumonia & quite a few infections. The side effects are very similar to both the Sepsis & pneumonia. At the moment I am feeling fitter & stronger than I have for a very long time so I'm really positive about this treatment. It was reassuring at the end of the program to see the people who are still in remission.  UCLH is the hospital I shall be having my treatment at as well. So, nice to see what the rooms are like & how about that view. That could keep me from getting bored for a long time. 

I go on Wednesday for harvesting, Barts on Friday for a PET Scan & next Monday back to UCLH just for a consultancy. The actual treatment will not happen for four to six weeks after harvesting. Will keep you up to date when I can.

Lyn x

• Hi Lyn,

I think you have a great attitude - the narrative structure of the film meant it had a startling impact, but you are right to focus on the very end, and the very positive message amongst the sadness. Plus, you are on your own path - I used to read too much into other people’s journeys when really you have got your own unique one to follow. But I always like to say that even if you are on your own path, there are people here who have been in the same field and we’re always here to try and help along the way.

I hope it all goes really well on Wednesday and please keep us updated as to how you get along, i for one would be very interested to hear.

And yes, that view looked pretty incredible. I was overlooking the Bristol Royal Infirmiary’s helipad which was not a bad view, but that one looked like it will keep your attention for a fair while!

All the best

Greg

• Hi Lyn, just watched the programme and was transported back three and a half years with lots and lots of high and low memories flooding back..... my wife Fiona could not watch it. I do actually think my wife went through more emotional trauma than me.

The programme was wonderfully made and was so sympathetic to the amazing but challenging aspects of the treatment and as Greg says, mirrors some of the challenges when going through SCT...... but on steroids.

A very challenging ending but the results of the trials have now touched so many lives. 

As to comparing views, I had a grey wall during my first SCT but a great view of the Glasgow skyline for the second SCT.

All the very best for the weeks and months ahead and we will be walking this with you every step even although we are not next to you, you are on our hearts ((hugs)) xx

Heart

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• ....... I dream a lot and after watching War in the Blood last night I had this very vivid dream where Graham and Mahmoud were in a beautiful park, Graham is tinkering with his motorcycle and Mahmoud was doing some hoops with his basketball.

They both come and sat on a park bench where Graham sits with a coffee and Mahmoud a can of juice.

They sit quietly watching a very long line of people walk in front of them, the people who were seen at the end of the programme (and more) who are now in remission.

Once the long line had passed them, they looked at each other, gave a nod, do a fist bump and say “Job done” then they go back to what they had been doing before.

We are so grateful for those who give it a go..... so that those who follow in their footsteps can have life.

Heart

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Mike,

Thats so lovely. I wish I could have dreams like that, unfortunately I rarely remember my dreams. However you described your dream so well I could see it myself. I don't usually get moved by the written word but that bought more than one tear to my eyes . I just hope I can join that long line of people walking passed Graham & Mahmoud ( my heart goes out to their families & friends) along with many more people, but if I don't I will not give up for you just don't know what is round the corner. 

Lyn x