gone wrong

• 3 replies
  • 11 subscribers

My son had 3 cycles of ICE and became unwell during stem cell collection last week. Hickman line had to be removed because of infection and collection aborted. Treated with intravenous antibiotics and hopefully home tomorrow. Not sure what will happen next but wanted to ask has this happened to anyone else on here?

• Hi , sorry to hear that your son developed an infection and at a rather unfortunate time.

My Stem Cells were from my brother so did not have to go through this part but I did have to have two Hickman Lines changed due to one not working and the other developed an infection.

Actually the one that was not working had to be changed during the early hours of the night as my Transplant was the following day!!

These issues are unfortunately part of the SCT rollercoaster ride.

I would guess that once the infection is clear that they will get a new line in and start again but as always, the best people to talk with are his team. 

This is a hard and stressful time for all those looking on but his team are used to this and will prepare to move this in a positive direction as soon as he is well to do so.

((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thankyou for replying to my post. I will speak to consultant on Thursday xxx

• Hi mrs lenihan

I had an allo stem cell transplant that was delayed due to the fact I reacted to a batch of the chemo and developed acute pancreatitis.

This delayed my stem cell transplant fro Jan 13 to May 13. It went ahead once I had recovered from the pancreatitis and built up my strength and I am now almost 6 years post transplant.

Hopefully it will prove to be just a small "bump" that delays but doesn't affect your sons journey to recovery

Paul

What is a Community Champion?

You can speak to someone in confidence by calling Macmillan Support on 0808 808 0000 - 365 days a year 8am to 8pm It's free from mobiles and landlines. The friendly team are waiting to take your call.