Stem cell transplant for t cell lymphoma

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 11 subscribers

Hello every one . I have just finished course or chemo . Next step sct . Can any one advise if they have done this and has it been successful. I have been in remission for 1 month. Not sure to do or not . What is the survival rate .

• Hi  and welcome to the Onlime Community but sorry to see you finding us.

Having been diagnosed with my type of T-Cell Lymphona (there are few different types) over 20 years ago so I think I have some track record in this area.

Its a long story and if you hit my forum name  you can see the unfolding journey.

I will cut the the end of the story and say my condition became very aggressive so they hit me hard with chemo and radiotherapy to get me ready for an Allo Stem Cell Transplant (SCT) with Stem Cells from my brother.......list a long story but I actually had two Allo SCTs

When it kicked off over 5 years back my team gave me 30ish months on the clock.........I am now way past my sell by date and doing great.  

So SCT saved my life, yes it was a hard journey but I have no regrets.

Have a look at my profile and get back to me with any questions.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Infosearch,

Another warm welcome from me. Whilst I don’t have lymphoma, I have had 2 SCTs for another blood cancer and (so far) they have worked for me.

Am I right in thinking it’s your brother doing the SCT? Do you know which type - auto or allo? Statistics are a notoriously tricky subject and will vary depending on type of cancer, age, other health issues, treatment regime, etc. I tend to think of everyone as a statistic of one, but I get that a high level view can be helpful. The statistics vary depending of whether it is an auto or an allo SCT.

Anyway, like Mike says, please ask any detailed questions you might have and hopefully there’s a good bunch of experience here to help you out.

Cheers

Greg

• hi, it would help to know what type of T cell NHL you have and which chemo regime, I know a few T cell folks who have been down this road on another forum, and if I remember correctly all had allo transplants due to the nature of their T cell disease. 

each transplant is unique so don't worry about stats, if it were me I would want to understand the treatment, my options alternatives and what they offer, then make your decision as like chemo some sail through a transplant and others have to manage some of the side effects and no one can say what your experience will be.

John  

ps it seems your seeking advice for your brother ?

we all know this is a roller coaster ride, where we ride blind, never knowing where the highs and lows are