Stem cell transplants for blood cancers

A group for people to discuss stem cell transplants for blood cancers such as leukaemia and lymphoma. This can include transplants using a person’s own stem cells or stem cells from someone else (a donor).

Day +12

Paul1969
Posted by

Hi Kirsty914

I may have had one transfusion post transplant but no more than that. I am not convinced  that I actually had anynpost transplant but it is all a bit blurry now after the years!

Paul

What is a Community Champion?

You can speak to someone in confidence by calling Macmillan Support on 0808 808 0000 - 365 days a year 8am to 8pm It's free from mobiles and landlines. The friendly team are waiting to take your call.

moomy
Posted by

Hi Kirsty, 

daughter had her Hickman in for a while post allo, but she was reliant on red cell transfusions for over 2 years, her blood group just had such a long way to change and also with such a lot of pre-treatment it just took its time! (She went from O Rh- to A Rh+) and they just got used to struggling with her pretty shot veins. They still struggle now! She had transfusions about every 3 weeks. 

They might think about giving you white cell booster jabs if the levels don’t start to rise in a few days? If so, be ready for the bone aches, ask if they can prescribe Loratidine (an antihistamine, brand name Claritin, but it does help!) the day before they plan the jabs, and each day till it eases. 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

Alzjunkyard
Posted by

Laser in the mouth?! Gah, that sounds rotten!  Why must we be tortured so? ...

~Alissa