Stem cell transplants for blood cancers

A group for people to discuss stem cell transplants for blood cancers such as leukaemia and lymphoma. This can include transplants using a person’s own stem cells or stem cells from someone else (a donor).

SCT Success Stories

MissSatomi
Posted by

The happiest of rebirthdays to MiniMoomy!   

moomy
Posted by

MiniMoomy, I love that! Thank you! 
hugs xxx

Moomy

moomy
Posted by

MiniMoomy has had her I/G’s at the JR and is now at the Churchill haematology unit discussing her ferritin levels and asking if they need treating, bearing in mind she has Gilbert syndrome (no I’m not sure what that is either or how it might impact on her liver stores of ferritin) 

hugs xxx

Moomy

moomy
Posted by

So there’s a plan (always a good sign!) bloods to get taken on her next I/g session, then on the following one, a bleeding session with fluids in at the same time due to her normally pretty low blood pressure, and see how it goes. Consultant seems to think it might not have much effect on the periodic joint pains but from what I’ve read it should be higher than he suggested....we’ll see. 
at least they are going to try to reduce that ferritin level at last (it is high enough for her to try to avoid iron rich foods)

Problem is, I suspect it might have to all get done at 2 different hospitals! (Today she was at both, took a whole day to get sorted, her appointment for haem consultant was 3 pm, got seen just before 5!) 

hugs xxx

Moomy

Paul1969
Posted by

Hi Moomy

I had venesections for about 18 months to bring my ferritin levels down to normal. I arranged for mine to be done at the local hospital with no problems so hopefully your daughter will manage to get them sorted out at the one place.

Paul

What is a Community Champion?

You can speak to someone in confidence by calling Macmillan Support on 0808 808 0000 - 365 days a year 8am to 8pm It's free from mobiles and landlines. The friendly team are waiting to take your call.

Thehighlander
Posted by

Bump for those looking down the Stem Cell Transplant tunnel...... lots of success stories.

Mike - Thehighlander

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Thehighlander
Posted by

Bump for those going though SCT

Mike - Thehighlander

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela