Stem cell transplants for blood cancers

A group for people to discuss stem cell transplants for blood cancers such as leukaemia and lymphoma. This can include transplants using a person’s own stem cells or stem cells from someone else (a donor).

"Reboot to Factory Settings"

AmnesiaCustard
Posted by

Ok, here we go. Just about to take my darling husband into Plymouth hospital to begin the SCT.

Booking in today, start of chemo tomorrow.

I shall miss him so much, just being round the house and being there for a cuddle.

Custard x

Paul1969
Posted by

Good luck and hope it goes well.

My wife was there most days in the week leading up to the SCT. The day of the transplants the kids were there as well when it happened. She then was about probably every other day after wards until I was discharged on day +15.

Her hugs helped me get through it all!

Paul

What is a Community Champion?

You can speak to someone in confidence by calling Macmillan Support on 0808 808 0000 - 365 days a year 8am to 8pm It's free from mobiles and landlines. The friendly team are waiting to take your call.

johnr
Posted by

Hi, hope all goes well and its as straight forward as it can be and that he is back home soon.

we all know this is a roller coaster ride, where we ride blind, never knowing where the highs and lows are
greg777
Posted by

Hi Custard,

Wishing you and your husband the very best. Anything we can do to help during this tough time, we are here!

Greg

fanilow
Posted by

Fingers crossed for you both, Custard.

Lots of people rooting for you.

fanilow

moomy
Posted by

Love and hugs for you for all the anxious times in the next little while.....

I know it's tough, bless you, and you'll be tripping to and fro in addition to all you do otherwise, plus extra laundry and cleaning home to the n'th degree ready for him coming home.....( been there too!) 

More hugs xxx

Moomy

remark
Posted by

Fingers crossed all goes well! Set small goals, and keep spirits high in his room.

Love the analogy by the way!.. Although I'd consider it a software update really! hahah. 

JulieMB
Posted by

Wishing you both an uneventful transplant journey. Drink lots of water and get up and move around as much as possible. Big Hugs! x 

Melmoo
Posted by

Fingers crossed!! Hope all goes well! xxxx

AmnesiaCustard
Posted by

So tired...I got about 3 hours sleep last night - we had a difficult and emotional day. And it's almost and hour and a half to the hospital, so a long drive. And we've only just started...

Today my husband has had red and platelet transfusions, some drugs with very long names to try to prevent side effects and is having his first dollop of chemo now.

The staff are very nice and kind though and that's good.

Worn-out Custard x

moomy
Posted by

Awww, Custard, 

I know that incredibly worrying, frustrating, exhausting time......do take care of yourself, it's a long haul so accept any offers of help from friends and relatives, you'll need them! 

Sending you massive hugs xxx

Moomy

AmnesiaCustard
Posted by

Thank you all...lovely to know there's understanding here.

x

AmnesiaCustard
Posted by

Today he is having fludarabine and busulfan. Drug regime getting tougher. The worst bit of the chemo is expected to be the weekend when he has AT-G which I believe can cause really horrible side effects for a couple of days. Anyone got any experience of this?

Custard x

moomy
Posted by

Hi Custard, 

No, not heard of that, sorry......but if it's a Melphalan replacement ask about using ice, sucking ice chips before, during and for a good while after will help prevent the worst of the mouth ulcers. It's usually the final drug in the regime. 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

AmnesiaCustard
Posted by

I believe it's an anti GvHD drug. Seems quite specific.

No melphalan for my husband...and after I had taken all your ice advice on board!

I wonder how they choose drug regimes for conditioning. Do individual consultants have their personal favourites?