Faith

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 10 replies
  • 10 subscribers

I am new to this page and I am struggling. My faith is the only thing getting me through right now. My mum was diagnosed a year ago with stage 4 ovarian cancer and has fought a good fight through 2020. She has been in hospital for the last 3 weeks and has now been handed over to palliative care and has not got long left. I feel sad that God hasn't answered my prayers but I feel joy knowing that she will be going to Heaven and Jesus will be waiting for her. I worry for my dad who has been married to my mum for 54 years and never been apart. It's so unfair on him that he can't see my mum whilst she is in hospital. 

Any Bible verses please that will give me strength much appreciated x

• Hi  and welcome across to our little corner of the Community.

I am so sorry to hear about the progression of your mum’s Ovarian Cancer and that this has moved onto Palliative Care, this is a hard time for you and the family, a time full of confusion, challenges and questions.

I truly understand that you feel your prayers are not being answered but we can only ‘post’ our prayers and have the Faith that God does the right thing for your mum.

Accepting this can be a challenge but this is what living a life of Faith us about..... having the Faith that God is indeed in ultimate control.

Back in 1999 when I was first diagnosed with a rare incurable Lymphoma the family and myself did quickly come to accept that how this journey progressed was totally in God’s hands, yes we had Faith that I could live with my cancer but for how long was out of our hands.

Things took a turn for the worse in late 2013 and my team gave me a timeframe of a few years..... but God had obviously not set that timeframe so we continue to life life and make memories as best as we can.

The COVID situation has brought a lot of challenges to what was a challenging time in the best of times.

You and the family not being able to see your mum is hard but let’s look for this to change quickly.

I experienced this first hand back in mid November when my 92 year old mum unexpectedly became very unwell and died.

We are in Inverness and mum was taken to her local hospital in Aberdeen, we were called for, so did the two and a half hour drive to Aberdeen arriving with 15 mins to spare.

But after discussions with the hospital team and my family I was not allowed into be with her when she passed. I am COVID Clinically Vulnerable and it was agreed that the area in the hospital my mum was in was classed as unsuitable for me...... at the time it was hard but on reflection it was the best decision for me and my family.

Palliative care does focus the mind on death but as a family we decided that if and when that time came, we would always focus on life and a life well lived.

As best as you can within the restrictions you support your dad and let’s look for doors to open to be next to your mum.

Some scriptures to reflect on:

Revelation 21:4
    ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”

Psalm 34:18
    The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.

Psalm 147:3
    He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.

John 14:1
    “Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me.

Joshua 1:9
    Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.”

Romans 8:28
    And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

Matthew 5:4
    Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.

1 Thessalonians 4:13-14
    Brothers and sisters, we do not want you to be uninformed about those who sleep in death, so that you do not grieve like the rest of mankind, who have no hope. For we believe that Jesus died and rose again, and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him.

1 Thessalonians 4:17-18
    After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever. Therefore encourage one another with these words.

It’s always good to talk and the Macmillan Support Services provides lots of information, support, financial guidance or just a listing ear.

Most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week and it's free to call on 0808 808 00 00 have a look by Clicking here to see what is available and we also have our Ask an Expert section, but do allow two working days for replies from our expert team.

We are always around to listen and support as best as we can ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

Thank you for taking the time to write this lengthy reply. Thank you for the Bible verses. I am currently watching my second church service of the day online. I know my mum is in God's hands and I praise him. 

• I met this beautiful girl in a house church meeting a long time ago and she has now been my wife for over thirty years. Now she is undergoing Chemo for ovarian cancer, and I am finding strength in my own faith.

John 16:33 (NIV) - I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.

The idea that whatever happens in the world, Jesus has already overcome it, is what has kept me going. The verse explicitly says we shall have trouble, but it also says that not just the trouble but the whole world that caused the trouble, is in the end overcome.

Can I suggest that you study both the John farewell discourses (About Jn14 to the end of the book), and compare them with the first epistle of John? I am of the opinion that they are both from the same pen, and cast a lot of light on what faith is about.

• Hi Cat992, I'm so sorry for what you are going through.  My faith is also what is helping me at the moment.  

I was raised as a Christian, kind of lost my faith and became agnostic and then rediscovered it recently.  Or probably discovered it properly for the first time as I came into it myself rather than it being what I was raised to believe.  

So I'm a bit new to it but from the reading and searching for answers I have done we will go through hard times in this world, bad things will happen and not all of our prayers will get the answer we want or when we want it.  But our life on this earth compared to eternity with God and Jesus Christ and our loved ones is minuscule and we have the hope and knowledge that our faith gives us to see us through the hard times.  

So while things in this world can get really tough loosing someone is not forever.  What we can do is take comfort in knowing He is here with us going through what we are going through and that one day we and our loved ones will be together again.

I listen to a great podcast on Spotify, if you have spotify, called The Bible Study Podcast.  I find it very comforting.

Some really good verses that I find comforting are on this link: https://www.southernliving.com/culture/comforting-bible-verses

Hope they help you.

• Welcome cat992, 

I can totally understand that you feel sad that your prayers have not been answered in the way you wanted, but do Feel assured that Jesus shares your sadness and knows your pain. It always helps  me to remember especially when I can't make sense of things that his thoughts and ways  are higher than mine, he sees the whole picture and I do not. Accepting this helps me to stop fighting reality as I see it and surrender all again to Him. Life is just   so   hard sometimes isn't it! 

I hate how covid restrictions are effecting relationships especially at times when closeness is such a comfort. 

Sending love to you as your sister in christ at this time and praying that you will experience  more of God s comfort and love  Heart

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Israel

Thank you everyone for your replies. 

My mum went to be with Jesus on Thursday morning at 05:20. She waited for my Dad to be by her side. He got there at 05:00.

I am devastated and I am in so much pain and cannot stop crying. It doesn't feel real. I know she is in a better place now and not in any pain. 

I take great comfort knowing that she is in Heaven and looking down on me x

• I’m so sorry for your loss Cat992.  Knowing our loved ones are in a better place helps but it’s still tough.  It’s so good your dad was able to be there. Sending you a big virtual hug x 

• So sorry to read of your loss  Praying you will know God’s presence, peace and comfort at this difficult time x

• Hi  so sorry to hear this news. I lots my mum in November and due to COVID and me being in the Vulnerable Group I did not get to be with her when she passed.

Our strength comes the one who loves us the most Two hearts

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Bless you Cat992. So sorry to read of the loss of your precious Mum. Thanking Jesus that He will be leading you through your pain. Praying for His Peace. Much love to you Heart