Parents of children with cancer

This group is designed to provide support to parents who are struggling with their child's cancer. This includes adult children who have cancer.

My daughter has BRCA1 gene

bizzylizzy1960
Posted by

Hello, my daughter was diagnosed with breast cancer in February 2017. She has undergone chemotherapy, surgery and radiotherapy. She was tested for the BRCA1 gene in January 2018 because her auntie died of ovarian cancer in her 40’s.  My daughter’s results at the end of May confirmed she does carry the gene. So her father and I have been referred for the test to see who carries the gene, to address the wider family implications of this.

But Also In the last few weeks my daughter has been experiencing acute pain in her right hip, and it’s been getting worse.  So she had an X-ray and they have said that her bones look fine, but they spotted a ‘subtle lucency’ (shadow) on her X-Ray behind the bone which concerns them, So this Monday She had a full body bone scan, and on Friday an MRI. 

So now we have the anxiety of waiting for her results. 

I have joined this group for support because I am experiencing such anxiety And instead of keeping my cool, awaiting the outcomes, my mind is wandering down the various paths in a way that is keeping me awake at night, but I am afraid to share this with my daughter, I want to be strong for her. 

I want to be open and honest about how hard this period is for me, and not sugar coat it. And I’m hoping I will find people on here in a similar situation. Thank you for listening xxx

JulieWWW
Posted by

Hello,

I have just joined the group and read your post.  I really do hope your daughter's MRI scan came back with the results you wanted.  My daughter was also diagnosed with breast cancer in March 2016.  She doesn't carry the BRCA 1 gene and no-one in both my or my husband's family have had any form of cancer.  She had months of chemo, fertility treatment, a mastectomy and reconstructive surgery.  She was clear from October 2016.  She was 21.  In January this year a routine scan was inconclusive and further investigation showed that it had come back in both her liver and spine. 

As her mum, I struggle to cope.  She is responding well to treatment but they have said it is treatable but not curable.  I don't know what that means and, if I am honest, I am scared to ask. Her original prognosis was terrible but she seems to be responding well and they are pleased with her results. 

I have always been determined that we wont be defined by cancer.  It can shape us but not define us.  The reality is that it consumes me. I am terrified of what's round the corner, that I cant protect her or my son who struggles to accept her diagnosis.

I understand your anxiety and I feel for you.  You are strong because you have to be and I am sending you positive vibes.

Julie