Parents of children with cancer

This group is designed to provide support to parents who are struggling with their child's cancer. This includes adult children who have cancer.

Please can someone help me?

Lucy0108
Posted by

Hi, just looking for some advice, my son is 8 months old and about 2 months ago was in hospital due to a first time seizure, while doing his bloods they noticed some abnormalities, they said it was viral or leukemia and admitted him, did some more tests and they said they couldn't see any leukemic cells and sent us home to return for bloods in 3 week's..went back for bloods and the doctor said it was all ok but when I received the letter from the hospital it actually said there were still some abnormal cells (I'm no doctor but can a viral infection really last over a month with no symptoms) anyway so it's been a few weeks now and yesterday he has developed a rash, I'm freaking out because it looks like petachie (sorry for the spelling) I thought it was a heat rash at first but it's still here today! It's only on his stomach, there tiny pin prick red dots, they disapear when I press on them but he's not warm, no temperature, they don't seem to be itching or anything and I remember reading that petachie can be a sign of leukemia, I'm just reluctant to go to the hospital as last time they had us wait in a waiting room for 12 hours and it's not fair on my son (especially if it's something of nothing, but I wouldn't forgive myself if it was something) it has definitely gone down it's not as red but the spots are still there, if anyone knows how to attach a picture I will, just really hoping someone can give some advice! Thanks in advance x

Arla
Posted by

Hi Lucy,

Unfortunately none of us here are medics and the only way to know for sure what's happening is to get him checked out. You could try calling NHS 111 for advice if you don't want to wait in A&E, or if you have a number for the ward he was in before you could give them a call.

I'm really sorry that you are having this worry and I hope that things are back to normal soon.

Lots of love 

Xxx

diane_s
Posted by

Please take him to A & E as soon as possible, like now. 

Hope you will. 

Diane

Lucy0108
Posted by

Is there any way I can show you a picture before I do, he's laughing and fine and in no pain not unwell, they just look at me like I'm stupid everytime I take him in!x

Arla
Posted by

Hi Lucy,

We can't review pictures as we are not medically trained (I'm here as I had womb cancer) there is an ask an expert section on the site but it takes 2 days to get a reply so I didn't point you to that earlier. The experts don't look at pictures either, it's against the community guidelines.

I'm sorry that I missed your reply, I posted as I was leaving the house, I hope that you have managed to get some medical advice and reassurance.

Lots of love 

Xxx