New to the site

If you've just joined up and aren't sure where to start, this is the group for you. Tell us a bit about what brings you here, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Someone will be on hand to welcome you and point you in the right direction

Recently diagnosed - where to get help and advice

Sathyasai
Posted by

Hi,

I was recently diagnosed with stage 3/4 terminal bowel cancer and given a survival chance of single figure months. I am receiving chemotherapy as an attempt to prolong my life, but have yet to see if the treatment has any effect. 

My GP did a referral to have a Macmillan community nurse assigned to me a month ago, but sadly I received no response. 

I am struggling to get my house in order for my wife and son and have numerous questions around my existing life insurance policies and what should I be telling the insurance companies, my pension which I have not taken, benefits, disability support as I also have severe rheumatoid arthritis, driving and what I need to tell the DVLA etc. 

As time is rapidly ticking away, I would be extremely grateful if anyone could advise as to where I could possibly get the help I need with the above.

Kind regards

Sathyasai

latchbrook
Posted by

Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community

I can understand why you want to get everything in order so can I recommend that you phone the Macmillan Support Line on 0808 808 0000. It's free to call and they have a financial guidance team available Monday to Friday from 8am to 6pm, who can talk to you about the matters that you have mentioned 

You may like to join the living with incurable cancer group. Although the title of the group might not sound that cheery the group is full of people who are making the most of their time and who will be happy to share their experiences with you and answer questions.

If you'd like to join them just click on the link I've created and then choose 'Join this group' on the page that opens. You could then introduce yourself and ask any questions you have by selecting 'Start a discussion'.

x

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

What is a Community Champion?