New to the site

If you've just joined up and aren't sure where to start, this is the group for you. Tell us a bit about what brings you here, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Someone will be on hand to welcome you and point you in the right direction

My dad has stage 4 esophaguel cancer which has spread to liver

Lou_34
Posted by

Hello

where do I start?

my dad was diagnosed with stage four esophaguel cancer that's spread to his liver one week ago. Up til two weeks before Xmas he was perfectly fine and felt unwell so which the dr told him was a chest infection. It wasn't until he turned yellow that me and my mum rushed him to A&E. 

im lost, I'm broken and I don't know what to do. He's still in hospital (12 days now) who have said there isn't anything they can do apart from refer to guys oncology asap and arrange palative care at home. He was hoping to come home today but has since become breathless with a raised temp and now swollen abdomen due to fluid so he's currently having that drained. It's like I'm stuck in a nightmare bubble. I'm an only hold wirhbtwo young children myself, thankfully my partner is amazing and supporting but my mum has also just got over lung cancer, and had half her lung removed before Xmas.

latchbrook
Posted by

Hi and a warm welcome to the online community at what must be a very distressing time for you and your family.

I see that you have joined the secondary liver cancer and family and friends groups and I'm sure if you post in these groups you will get lots of support and advice.

If you're not sure how to get back to them just click on the links I've created. Once back there you can post your introduction from here into a new thread by clicking on 'Start A Discussion' which you'll see near the top of the page.

I can understand why you feel that you're stuck in a nightmare so if you think that talking to someone would help I can recommend calling the Macmillan Support Line on 0808 808 0000. It's free to call and available daily from 8am to 8pm.

Sending a supportive (((hug)))

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

What is a Community Champion?

Lou_34
Posted by

Thanks so much x

Panama01
Posted by

Sry cuz i ask what your father have to take witch pills ??

Lou_34
Posted by

He hasn't been given anything other than oral morphine and vitamin tablets 

nanny Lol
Posted by

Hello Lou_34

im sorry to hear your sad situation, my father had the same 15 years ago. I researched as much as I could to try to understand the condition.

To assist my dad with his breathing and eating as it became difficult to swallow the hospital inserted a stent which helped but it meant he had to sleep sitting up! 

I’m sorry as I can’t  imagine how hard it must be having your mum in recovery and young children to look after.  I hope you get the correct support to provide answers.  My advice for if you go to speak to the doctors is to make a list of questions and write down the responses as it will give you a sense of being in control while gathering important information. 

I aas given the same advice and found it helped me try to make sense and not forget details while my head floated off elsewhere with the stress. 

I wish you much luck 

Nanny Lol
Sunshine87
Posted by

Hello. I have only just come on here properly. 

Lets just say I 100% am in your position. My dad has the same and last week we found out it had spread to the liver after intense treatment. Our hopes of surgery shattered. 

I am an absolute mess, I can’t see through the tears and don’t know how to cope with this either. Lost, broken and a nightmare bubble is better than I could have described this pain. 

Keep leaning on your partner, that’s what I’m doing right now x