New to the site

If you've just joined up and aren't sure where to start, this is the group for you. Tell us a bit about what brings you here, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Someone will be on hand to welcome you and point you in the right direction

Advice

cyberduck
Posted by

Hi all,

My grandma was diagnosed with stage 3 Esophageal cancer (N0M0) over the Christmas period and has already indicated that she is not interested in surgery because she is worried she won't be able to eat, lie down or may risk losing her voice. We know that the cancer hasn't spread and suspect she will be offered chemo/radio treatment during her next consultation on Wednesday. She is a heavy smoker and has recently started to vape. 

She recently had a pacemaker installed, she's late 60s. Has a history with DVT and until recently, wasn't particularly active of health conscious.

As a family we have never been impacted by cancer before and we are all absolutely mortified. I find myself crying at the most unlikely of times and I have so many unanswered questions. 

I wondered if anybody had any experience with this strain of cancer and any knowledge on general prognosis/survival rates? We are praying for years and not months. Any advice would be hugely appreciated, I'm sure many relate to the darkness of those few weeks where you're waiting for news. 

Thank you x

latchbrook
Posted by

Hi and welcome to the online community at what must be an extremely stressful time for you.

I'm really sorry to hear of your gran's recent diagnosis and I can understand that she might be worried that surgery will have a big impact on her life.

I see that you have already joined the family and friends group which is a good place to go to discuss your emotional worries and get support. Can I also suggest that you join the oesophagus cancer group so that you can ask questions about this particular type of cancer.

To join just click on the link I've created and then choose 'Join This Group' on the page that opens. You can then respond to existing posts by clicking on 'Reply' or start your own by choosing 'Start A Discussion'.

Sending you a virtual ((hug))

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

What is a Community Champion?

cyberduck
Posted by

Thank you!