New to the site

If you've just joined up and aren't sure where to start, this is the group for you. Tell us a bit about what brings you here, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Someone will be on hand to welcome you and point you in the right direction

Supporting a prostate cancer suffered during long periods of waiting

JuMac
Posted by

Hello. This is my first post and having seen what so many people are suffering, my concerns seem trivial. My heart goes out to all those going through difficult times.

For us, it’s the waiting that is creating increasing challenges. We were coping OK when my husband was first diagnosed with prostate cancer- it was a relief to know after a year of tests, biopsies etc. Now that we are hoping that the surgery (radical prostatectomy) was successful the fear of bad news is unbearable. Part of the problem is that another family member also has prostate cancer which has spread and is now affecting several major organs.  I am running out of ways to help my husband stay positive- he only remembers the bad stuff at the moment. How do people manage to cope emotionally?  

JuMac
rily
Posted by

Hello and welcome to the community although sorry to hear about your husband and the added anxiety of your other family member. Waiting for results of tests and further appointments is something we are all familiar with. The waiting never gets any easier. I notice you have found the prostate group where you will get help, advice and support from others who understand. One way to cope with stress is to use this community to offload your questions and worries. As I say, people here understand. Best wishes.

Best wishes to All,   rily.  What is a Community Champion ?
JuMac
Posted by

Thanks rily. I suppose it’s partly the realisation that the treatment is not  a ‘cure’. It’s going to be a long journey. I’m going to carry on looking for ways to manage those difficult patches, but the community is as you say a way of offloading and sharing.

JuMac