New to the site

If you've just joined up and aren't sure where to start, this is the group for you. Tell us a bit about what brings you here, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Someone will be on hand to welcome you and point you in the right direction

Dont really know....

Tugwilson
Posted by

Hi. Diagnosed with tmj earlier this year. Had a tooth extraction due to a root severing horizontally. Gum started growing over back left bottom wisdom tooth 3 week ago. Went to dentist who suggested extraction. Had x ray and wisdom tooth taken out at hospital. X ray looked like a tumour. Biopsy taken. A week later a further appointment confirmed tumour, but didn't know what strain so further tests needed. Consultant said rare for my age (Normally associated with older people who have drank and smoked majority of their lives). I'm 49 and never smoked and a steady drinker. Two week later I'm seeing the consultant tomorrow, after having a PET scan, mri.scan and ct scans. I'm bricking it tbh. Happily married with a son 19 and daughter 16. Been in limbo for 2.week ish and now reality hitting home. If anyone could kindly suggest a.suitable group of be very grateful. We're all in it together, but it's felt like I've been looking at life like a fly on the wall since I heard the word tumour. I'm concerned as they're looking for a potential primary as well. Jaw and tongue are more swollen and pain is moving up lhs of my face. Sorry for whinging but feel very isolated at the mo, and alone even with loved ones around me. X

latchbrook
Posted by

Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community

This must have come as a tremendous shock to you after a routine dental appointment. Any cancer diagnosis can make you feel very isolated and I'll happily point you in the direction of a suitable group but I'm afraid I don't know what tmj is. If you could let me know then I'll link you to a group.

x

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

What is a Community Champion?

Tugwilson
Posted by

Hi. Tmj stands for temporomandibular joint disfunction which is very common. It's the cancer diagnosis that's obviously worrying when I originally was led to believe the symptoms were just tmj, manageable with muscle relaxants and general painkillers. Thanks x

latchbrook
Posted by

Thanks for letting me know what tmj stands for .

I'm sorry that I misunderstood and thought that was the type of cancer you have. I've reread your post but can't see what type of cancer the consultant thinks you have.

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

What is a Community Champion?

Ginajsy
Posted by

Hi Tugwilson

Sorry that you find your self here. I hope you get your answers tomorrow. As from your post it seems they may have found something in your mouth I would suggest the head and neck cancer group. The link for that is here . Once you get further information we can possibly point you to more groups or places of support. 

You will be confused and dazed at the moment, don't worry you will slowly process everything and things will settle.

It's often a good idea to take someone with you to appointments, or if you prefer not to a list of questions and a pen and paper to jot things down as it all goes to mush sometimes when we are in there trying to take all the information in.

Best wishes

Gina

There are no perfect people, only perfect intentions

♬I should've been more than this, I was gonna be something big, But I never did anything at all ♬ Dan Owen - Icarus
court
Posted by

Hi Tugwilson ,

Welcome to the forum . I started having problems with TMJ about 18 months ago and two weeks ago just had a horizontal wisdom tooth extracted . Also 49 with a 19 and 16 year old . So I sympathise with the pain you have been experiencing. 

That must have given you a terrible shock. So if I am reading this right they think the primary tumour has still to be identified and formulate a treatment plan ? I hope they get this done quickly for you as in some strange way it gives reassurance to know how they are going to set about removing this. 

Pain in that area is awful as I have discovered and I hope you are getting good pain relief. 

I did read recently that impacted wisdom teeth are more likely to be associated with tumours which I will need to read again as I was packed full of pain killers and trying to focus . 

Hope the appointment brings reassurance.

Court