New to the site

If you've just joined up and aren't sure where to start, this is the group for you. Tell us a bit about what brings you here, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Someone will be on hand to welcome you and point you in the right direction

Mums cancer spread to her lungs

Caz2107
Posted by

Hi, I am new to the group and looking for advice. 

My mum was diagnosed with colon cancer 1.5 years ago which had also spread to her liver. Following an operation on her bowel, 12 rounds of intensive chemo and 2 operations on her liver we were told that she had done so well and would be monitored over the next 10 years. Unfortunately, she has just had her first routine blood test and scans and it is in the early stages on her lungs.The Dr is hopeful that she will react well to chemo which will start in the new year as she reacted well previously. 

I am crying while writing this as it has hit us all so hard, we were so hopeful that everything would be OK. I just don't know what to say to my mum to make things better?

Why do bad things happen to good people?? 

HannyC
Posted by

Hi Caz2107

Let me start off by saying welcome! So sorry you had to find us under these circumstances and to hear about your Mum.

I'm no expert but I am a daughter with a Mum who has cancer and the best advice I can give of things to say to your Mum is leave no stone upturned! Tell her how much you love her (if you can) and that your're there every step of the way. 

Mothers tend to have the bad habit of worrying more about us kids then themselves so try and make sure she keeps the focus on herself and keeping herself healthy.

The waiting for a treatment plan and hearing the sad news is a hard stage of the journey sometimes one of the hardest but it does fall into place, once your Mum has a treatment plan in place and a bit of a routine you can breath a little easier.

Make sure you use Macmillans services, they have help for people like us and of course use this forum there are lovely knowledgeable real people in your position or further down the line who can offer great advice and support.

Take a look around the groups maybe join the family and friends group for support.

Cancer doesn't chose who you are unfortunately but together we will fight!

HannyC 

latchbrook
Posted by

Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community although I'm very sorry that you've had to find us.

I see that you've had a lovely response from HannyC and I don't think there's anything I can add to it other than to give you a link to the secondary lung cancer group where you can ask questions and get support from others who are going through this and also one to the family and friends group that HannyC recommended. 

To join either or both of these just click on the links I've created and then choose 'Join This Group' on the page that opens. You can then respond to existing posts by clicking on 'Reply' or start your own post by clicking on 'Start A Discussion'.

Sending you and your mum supportive ((hugs))

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

What is a Community Champion?

court
Posted by

Welcome Caz2107 ,

Please feel free to join us in the Bowel Forum . Your mum like mine has already been through a lot . She has a similar history to my mum so it might give you some encouragement to read my bio on behalf of my mum . Just click on my user name . 

The lungs frightened me too but it turned out that only one nodule out of three was infact a tumour . The other two have remained the same size for the past four years . Has your mum had a PET scan yet? 

There is certainly still a lot of hope in your mum’s situation given she is chemo responsive . Hold on tight to that .

take care,

Court 

Miss Smith
Posted by

Hi Caz2107 and Court

I am sorry to hear about your situations and I’m sorry that I don’t really have any advice to offer as I’m new to this forum. I am also looking for support/advice regarding my dad’s bowel cancer. Maybe sharing our experience will help?

My dad is 68 and was diagnosed with Bowel Cancer this year. He had an operation to remove the tumour in his bowel in May 2018. It appeared to be successful so he did not take any follow up chemotherapy etc. However, his scan in October 2018 revealed that the cancer is back and has spread to his lungs and liver. It is considered incurable. He was meant to start Chemo (tablet form) last week. However, I read up on the KRAS gene and have asked his oncologist to test for it. This has delayed his treatment by 2-3 weeks but we are hoping it will give him more options.

Initially my dad was set on not taking any treatment and was more focused on ‘quality of life’. It breaks my heart when he talks like this...as if he’s given up hope already. He literally has no symptoms and keeps good general health, which makes this news even harder to accept. I am searching day and night for a way out of this but I feel lost and need some guidance. Since learning about the KRAS test my dad appears more open to other treatment options. It’s given us some hope but I need to know what are the other options for my dad? We live in Scotland...Court you mentioned Centres of Clinical Excellence, do you have contact details?

Thanks so much for listening. Any advice would be appreciated xx

court
Posted by

Hello Miss Smith ,

Well done you for looking into the Kras side . The centre of clinical Excellence for the liver is in Edinburgh but given he has a spread to his lung too I would imagine they would want a systemic approach to treatment to achieve stable disease or reduction . There are criteria for most things as you can imagine so it mays to do a little research .

Chemo can be incredibly powerful and Bowel cancer is fortunate that it has may chemo combinations that can be used . Some people go on and off chemo with substantial breaks , others have a lower dose of maintenance chemo and do very well with it . The oncologist monitor how best to approach each individual with the MDT team . You will see patients in the net treating it like a chronic condition . 

Chemo can be adjusted to make it doable without losing your dads quality of life . It can also be stopped so there are many options .

Immuotherapy is only emerging here in Britain for Bowel cancer but a small group of patients are doing very well indeed in America . Some clinical trials have taken place .

It all really depends on how your dad responds to chemo and that gives hope in a difficult situation .

My mum has been a stage 4 patient for nine years so tell him not to give up just yet .

take care and send him our best wishes ,

Court