New to the site

If you've just joined up and aren't sure where to start, this is the group for you. Tell us a bit about what brings you here, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Someone will be on hand to welcome you and point you in the right direction

Brachytherapy

Mill Lodge
Posted by

Brachytherapy treatment for prostate cancer 

Bodach
Posted by

Welcome to the Mac family and to a place you did not want to visit but unfortunately your journey has brought you to us and we will help and answer any questions you have.

Can I invite you to join our Prostate cancer Group where you meet others with the same condition as yourself.

Macmillans have a series of publications that might be of interest to you which can be found here 

LINK- Click here to open

As I was unsure what the nature of your question was I have noted the following for your information

Brachytherapy

Brachytherapy is a form of radiotherapy where the radiation dose is delivered inside the prostate gland. It's also known as internal or interstitial radiotherapy.

The radiation can be delivered using a number of tiny radioactive seeds surgically implanted into the tumour. This is called low-dose-rate brachytherapy.

The radiation can also be delivered through thin, hollow needles placed inside the prostate. This is called high-dose-rate brachytherapy.

The idea behind this method is to deliver a high dose of radiation to the prostate while minimising damage to other tissues. However, the risk of urinary problems is higher than with radiotherapy, although the risk of sexual dysfunction is the same. The risk of bowel problems is slightly lower.

Want to know more?

I hope the above is of interest and if you join our Prostate cancer Group I am sure you will be given a lot of information and help.

Ian

CLICKING ON ANY OF THE GREEN TEXT ABOVE WILL OPEN A NEW PAGE

THIS POST HAS BEEN EDITED BY IAN the BODACH

Ileostomy,Colostomy and Stoma Support Group

LIVING WITH A ST● MA

What is a Community Champion?

Why not take a moment to complete your profile it really helps in answering your questions  How to update your PROFILE

You can always contact the Macmillan Support line on 0808 808 0000 Monday to Friday 9am to 8pm (not weekends or Bank Holidays) if you need to speak to someone in confidence. It's free from mobiles and landlines.