New to the site

If you've just joined up and aren't sure where to start, this is the group for you. Tell us a bit about what brings you here, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Someone will be on hand to welcome you and point you in the right direction

DCIS

Patterns
Posted by

I’ve just been diagnosed with DCIS after a routine mammogram.  I feel as if my whole world has collapsed and feel sick to the pit of my stomach.  Is this a normal emotion?

GRANNY59
Posted by

Hi Patterns welcome to the forums and so very sorry to hear your news. Yes is the answer to your question its completely normal and you will probably experience a few more before this is all done for you.

That said I wondered if you knew that there is a Breast Cancer thread on this site and sadly lots of lovely folks in there. They are like you and have been where you are and can and will support you throughout this and will be with you every step of the way.

Right now I imagine that you will,be in complete shock and no wonder but like me you have reasons to be grateful for the screening programme as mine was picked up that way as well. Mine was a different type to yours but Im still here and creating mischief as will you. 

Do you have a treatment plan as yet or is this still to come? You will find the strength in the next few days but for today its ok to feel as you do Honest. 

Im sure that you wouldnt turn down a hug right now and Im sending some huge big ones your way. xxxxxxx 

Patterns
Posted by

granny59

Thank you for your kind words and yes I need plenty of hugs right now. I haven't a treatment plan yet although I have been told it will probably be surgery and radiotherapy.  Just thinking about it ( which is all I seem to do at the moment ) makes me feel physically sick. I will try to be more positive when I've got my head around it a bit more. I didn't know there was a Breast Cancer thread on this site but will check it out.  

xxxxx

nyx
Posted by

Hello patterns, I too have just been diagnosed with dcis. I’m trying very hard to get my head around the fact they are talking about doing a mastectomy when apparently I am “low grade”, what has been said to you? I have just had a second biopsy so waiting for the results of that. I’m feeling opposite to you and perhaps I am in denial or not completely understanding the whole dcis thing. I would be interested to know what treatment they are offering you?

Patterns
Posted by

Hello nyx and sorry to hear that you too have been diagnosed with DCIS.  I've had 2 biopsies but have been told the DCIS is only in one breast but is 'high grade' measuring 2.4 cm. I've been put forward for a lumectomy on 5 th Dec and was told had the mass been 4.0 cm then it would have been a mastectomy. Once the mass has been removed and tested they will then decide on further treatment.  I did ask the Oncologist about a mastectomy but was told they prefer to go down the line of removal by lumpectomy in the first instance. I  have got my head around this a bit more but i too have been in denial at various times in the last couple of weeks.

nyx
Posted by

Ah, now it makes sense! The second biopsy is to see the extent of the dcis which then gives the grading? Hence I wasn’t understanding that if I’m low grade why they were talking lumpectomy/mastectomy. I am now realising that they don’t really expect it not to extend more into the breast. Clearly it hasn’t been explained to me very well! So just waiting for results appointment which I now have a different expectation. I suspect everyone has moments of being in denial, try to remain positive and strong. I am totally in denial and I’m sure it’s going to hit me like a sledgehammer at some point. 

lesleyhelen
Posted by

Hello and

Just to confirm a couple of things for you both.  Please don't use Google - just use the main trusted sites - Macmillan, breast cancer care, cancer research uk.  There are a lot of websites out there with all sorts of rubbish on them.

Here's a link from Macmillan with more information on DCIS.  The first phrase may make you both feel perhaps a teeny bit better about your diagnosis'  "it is the earliest form of breast cancer and needs to be treated but is not life threatening"

Having said the above, the treatment is pretty similar to having a cancerous lump which hasn't spread into the lymph nodes for Oestrogen positive breast cancer (ie - no chemotherapy). 

It actually depends on your individual size of breast as to whether you have a lumpectomy (wide local excision - WLE) or not.  I had a 15mm cancerous lump (Invasive Ductal Carcinoma -IDC) and 2 separate areas of DCIS - grade 3 (1) 34mm and (2)20mm and I 'only' had a WLE.  Their treatment plan goes on the 'worst' - so as my IDC was oestrogen positive, with my DCIS oestrogen negative, I was treated with WLE, radiotherapy and oestrogen reducing tablets for 5 years.  I had the operation on the Wednesday, took the Thursday off work and was back at work on the Friday,  Driving on the Sunday, perfectly ok with radiotherapy and ok on my tablets too - so although some ladies do have a difficult time it isn't always horrendous. 

Here's the link for both of you to the breast group so that you can get to meet us all over there and get the support and knowledge from ladies in the same position as yourselves.  Just click the +join

Kindest wishes,

Lesley x

Call Macmillan Support on 0808 808 0000 Monday to Friday 9am to 8pm (not weekends or Bank Holidays) if you need to speak to someone. It's free from mobiles and landlines.

What is a Community Champion?

nyx
Posted by

Wow, thanks