New to the site

If you've just joined up and aren't sure where to start, this is the group for you. Tell us a bit about what brings you here, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Someone will be on hand to welcome you and point you in the right direction

Just found out that my brother got skin cancer

lindastar 345
Posted by

My brother is 27 yrs old and he came home with the news that we are all shocked with we are all walking around in a dazed 

just dont know how to react cry or get up set were all are going to support him though this etc.

Leolady56
Posted by

Yup the sledge hammer effect. How the ..... What the ...... When the ..........   Add your swear word of choice. But here both yourselves as a family and for your brother you will all find support and guidance in a non judgemental way.

I am going to put a few links to help you and tag another champ she will be of immense help

Family and Friends Group tap on the link 

Info about skin cancer

Skin cancer group

There is a start a new discussion tab, where you can ask questions and get support.

Avoid the dreaded Dr Google, too many outdated articles. Stay with reputable UK sites

And cry and shout and rant. 

Cancer treatments have moved on and do so daily, it is not the head in hands diagnosis it once was. Just had my letter to say this last year was a battle but you are now free of breast cancer. 

Take care

Leolady56

What is a Community Champion?

How to add to you profile

Life is like a boxing match, defeat is declared not when you fall .....

But when you refuse to stand up again .......

So, I get knocked down but I get up again. x

latchbrook
Posted by

Hi and welcome to the online community at what is obviously a scary time for you all.

Being given any form of cancer diagnosis is very scary so your reactions are perfectly natural. I remember that feeling of walking around in a daze when I was first told that I had melanoma. 

I see that my fellow Community Champion  has already given you some great links. Can I ask what type of skin cancer your brother has as we have two different groups. There are 3 main types of skin cancer: basal cell carcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma and malignant melanoma. I had the last of these.

Once I know which he has I can introduce you to that group and give you more information as well.

x

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

lindastar 345
Posted by

Malignant melanoma the one he got thank you for your kind words 

latchbrook
Posted by

Malignant melanoma is the same skin cancer that I had so anything you want to know about it just fire away!

I was diagnosed just coming up to two years ago with melanoma Stage 2a so I can appreciate how worried you and your brother might be feeling. 

He will probably have been told that he needs to have a wide local excision (WLE), to make sure that they have removed all the cancer cells, and may have been offered a sentinel lymph node biopsy (SLNB) depending on the depth of his melanoma. I have had both of these so can help with any questions he wants to ask.

I'd suggest that you join me and others over in the melanoma group where you can ask questions and get support from others with this cancer. To join just click on the link I've created and then choose 'Join This Group' on the page that opens. You can then read the existing posts and 'Reply' to any that you want to, or start your own post by selecting 'Start A Post' which you'll see near the top of the page.

I hope to see you over there shortly

x

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

Londongirl8
Posted by

Welcome lindastar - I just wanted to echo the good advice you've received from the previous replies. I wish I hadn't spent so much time over analysing everything I could find about skin cancer by searching  the internet. It can of course be a great source of information but for me I worked myself up into a terrible lather and when I actually had my biopsy it wasn't anything like as bad as I had envisaged.

I wish you and your brother all the very best.

xx

xx
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans