New to the site

If you've just joined up and aren't sure where to start, this is the group for you. Tell us a bit about what brings you here, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Someone will be on hand to welcome you and point you in the right direction

New to discussion.. Partner's cancer back several times and in pain.

Chris150001
Posted by

Hello. Just wanted to say I'm a new to this site, I have spoken to MacMillan a few times over the years and have found them helpful. My Partner has had many issues with cancer that started many years ago. He has just undergone some very invasive surgery which has involved the removal of several organs and although this is not his first surgery it is the worst in terms of pain. I worry so much about the pain he is in and feel I wish I could do more to help. I cannot fault the NHS or his surgeons and Oncologist who are always fantastic. I just worry about his pain and the eventual treatment. He's undergone Chemo when he was a lot younger and Radiotherapy more recently. He seems to be struggling to keep the pain under control even with morphine. I know its early days but he is frightened that the pain will never go. Have just come on here looking to see if anyone else is in the same position. Thanks :o)

latchbrook
Posted by

Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community although I'm sorry you've had to come and find us.

I'm sorry to hear that your partner is struggling to keep his pain under control after recent surgery. Could I suggest that you get in touch with his CNS as soon as possible so that his medication can be adjusted. I'm sure his team would not be expecting him to be in pain.

Also, if you can tell me what type of cancer your partner has I could put you in touch with the relevant group on here where you can ask questions and get support.

Sending you both a gentle ((hug))

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

What is a Community Champion?

Chris150001
Posted by

Thank you so much for your reply.  Its quite a long story.. . The cancer was originally Testicular cancer over 15 years ago which was treated and he had Chemotherapy. Regular CT scans continued, but 5 years ago showed a Lump in the lymph nodes near the groin. He had a major operation to remove the tumour and lymph nodes. A year later another lump appeared in the same place and he had another Operation followed by Radiotherapy. Both these new lumps were mutations of the old cancer with Neuroendocrine differential. We both thought It was all sorted when this year the regular CT showed up another lump this time against the kidney. He's ended up having the kidney, spleen and some of his pancreas removed as well as the tumour. I think (and the hospital) thought he's done really well in recovery but Im so worried about his pain even though its early days. So its a bit of a complicated one I think he's a rare case! 

latchbrook
Posted by

Hi

Yes, I don't want to sound flippant but I see what you mean!

I think you'll be best placed to decide which group or groups you might find useful to join. We have a testicular cancer group and also one for Neuroendocrine tumours. If you'd like to join either or both of these click on the links I've created and then select Join This Group on the page that opens. Once you've joined you can reply to existing posts or start your own by clicking on Start A Discussion.

I'd also encourage you to complete your profile when you have a few minutes as it helps others to answer quickly if they can look up your details and it saves you from having to repeat yourself. When you're ready just click on your username and then select Edit Profile. You can alter it at anytime.

Please do get in touch with your partner's CNS to get his pain sorted out.

x

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

What is a Community Champion?

Chris150001
Posted by

Ah thank you .. yep he’s an odd one, even his oncologist says he’s a rare case. He won’t mind me saying that! Thank you for your support. I will have a look at my profile and put some info on it ! Will have a look at both those support groups too. :-)