New to the site

If you've just joined up and aren't sure where to start, this is the group for you. Tell us a bit about what brings you here, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Someone will be on hand to welcome you and point you in the right direction

eR positive breast cancer 22mm tumor

Suehum
Posted by

Hi 

I am new to site . Just diagnosed with we we positive stage. 1 to 2 breast cancer . 

Lump 22 mm . Choice of surgery now with radiotherapy or first medicine to ahrshr tumor 6 to 9 months then surgery and radiTradioth

Any advice ?

Suehum
Posted by

Sorry not we we breast cancer lol But ER positive 

lesleyhelen
Posted by

Hi

Welcome to the Macmillan website and sorry you haven't received a reply earlier.  I think most people saw that the thread has 1 reply and assumed someone had welcomed you and offered you some advice.

I've not heard of medicine to shrink (I assume that is what ahrshr is meant to be shrink on your predictatex phone?).  I had ER+ and I was told surgery to remove the tumor and SNB (sentinel node biopsy) to check it hadn't spread to my lymph nodes and then if no spread, radiotherapy, then anti oestrogen tablets for 5 years (some have them for 10 years)

Mine was a year ago and since then, there have been further developments in the treatment of ER+ breast cancer with a test to check the number of positive for the ER.  (ER 1 - 8).  This test is an Oncotype DX test which gets sent to America and is better than a biopsy result (the higher the number the better the tablets work - but it wasn't around when I was operated on in July 17, so the medicine may be a new thing too.

If you would like to join the breast group (a very active group - one of the most active of the whole community, so plenty of support) and perhaps ask the ladies there who are ER+ if they have had this option and ask their advice?

I had a lumpectomy (Wide Local Excision) to remove my tumour and DCIS (precancerous cells) at the same time as the SNB and it was day surgery.  It was a relatively easy operation for me and I took one day off work and was back driving after 4 days (they recommend 2 weeks not driving), but i recovered very well, having had 8cm removed from my breast. As I say, I wasn't offered medicine to shrink the tumour, so I can't offer any advice regarding this.

Best wishes,

Suehum
Posted by

Hi

Sorry for late response. Also terrible spelling lol. ObvioulOb typed too fast and in shock .  

Thanks for information you  gave . Wow so quick recovery and with larger lump . That makes me feel lot more positive and lean more towards doing surgery sooner than later . Was worried would not get all out and too invasive but sounds like not so bad . 

Feels strange to even be thinking about all these options as don't even feel ill so bit weird. Will post questions in breast cancer group and see if anyone there had choice.

Also been asked re clinical trials so trying to decide that as well . 

lesleyhelen
Posted by

Hi 

A lot of decisions for you, I don't envy you.. I had no choice and just got told what was happening so it was a lot easier I think. (I had 15mm lump grade 2 and also  2 separate areas of DCIS - pre cancer grade 3 which equalled 5.4cm).

Lol I figured you were on your phone and predictatext was having a big impact.

I think I was extremely lucky with how everything went for me, no hassle with radiotherapy either and this is why i have stayed on the site as although some ladies do have a lot of difficulties, a lot more will now be getting on with their lives and it is quite frightening to see so many peiple posting who have hadsuch a difficult time. It makes sense really doesn't it that those who are struggling are more likely to be asking for help?

I nearly didn't take the er+ tablets because of seeing so many issues with side effects. But again, I have been fine. So I think really the thing to do is to weigh up the pros and cons of your decision making and look at the best and worst case scenarios whilst running those by your team to see what they would recommend for you. 

Yes, you are right you don't feel unwell so how on earth do you have cancer? This thought crossed my mind so many times. I feel no different now than I did on the day I was diagnosed- really weird isn't It?

I hope the ladies in the breast group can give you some of the pros and cons to help you with your decisions. You will find these ladies (and some gents) are really supportive.

Kindest wishes for your journey ahead.

Suehum
Posted by

Hi 

Thanks so much. Glad you ate ok and are well now. Amazibg ti think how was oart of yiur life for so long. Gives us a new appreciation for allL o

ur blessings  Fee a lot better already as when have facts and read how many cases are far worse can only feel blessed. Still scary but if take one step at a time and remove fear a lot easier to cope with. Will not let this determine my frame of mind and will endeavour to be as positive as possible throughout. Hearing from others who have been through it helps a lot. 

Really appreciate the replies 

Suehum
Posted by

Hi 

Thanks so much. Glad you ate ok and are well now. Amazibg ti think how was oart of yiur life for so long. Gives us a new appreciation for allL o

ur blessings  Fee a lot better already as when have facts and read how many cases are far worse can only feel blessed. Still scary but if take one step at a time and remove fear a lot easier to cope with. Will not let this determine my frame of mind and will endeavour to be as positive as possible throughout. Hearing from others who have been through it helps a lot. 

Really appreciate the replies 

Suehum
Posted by

Tried so hard and still predictive text lol

lesleyhelen
Posted by

lol

good luck with your next stage. One day at a time, - see you in the breast group!