New to the site

If you've just joined up and aren't sure where to start, this is the group for you. Tell us a bit about what brings you here, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Someone will be on hand to welcome you and point you in the right direction

Side effects of treatment for Tonsil Cancer

Bigfeet
Posted by

I'm scared

Ive been told I have a rough road ahead during my treatment.

Burns,blisters,cold sores,sore throat,Tittinus,Thick sticky mucas.

Will I get through this? I have to get through this.

Please reassure me.

I'm a Newbie & needs some reasurrance of all you fighters out there.

Dawne 65
Posted by

Hi Bigfeet , I finished 6 cisplatin chemo and 30 radiotherapy treatment 30th march , throat is sore but I'm on the lowest dose fentenal patch I also take paracetamol and ibuprofen tablets as I found the liquid form hurt my throat , I'm eating small and often using a blender to liquidise meals , treatment is doable, trust in your team as they will monitor you if you need pain relief tell them , as my treatment finished I was exhausted and slept most of the time , today I'm up at 8 am and in bed around 9/10 pm , mucus isn't as bad as some people's , I do have a dry mouth but sip water and use xylimelts at night 1 gives me a good night's sleep , I did have broken skin on my neck the last week but it's now clear I now use aloe Vera on my neck to keep soft, I didn't get any cold sores on the whole I'm in a good place , but there's some amazing people on here who can advise so much more as they are some years past treatment , you can do it have faith in yourself , I'm a 53 yr old woman who prior to this was never ill so it hit me hard , like you I was petrified but with the help and advice from people on here I got through the treatment and still ask questions now 

Bigfeet
Posted by

Thank you so much for your reply 

Like yourself I am a fit & healthy 47 year old lady who is never bad & then this happens to me.Boy as it hit me & my family big time as I am the chore of the family,but I will get through it I just wished I hadn't looked on Google some scary stories on there,anyway I am glad you are on the road to recovery  & I send love & hugs to & your family x

Dawne 65
Posted by

Oh god stay away from Google it's a minefield like you I googled before I found Macmillan and ended up scaring myself , on here it's real people who you know are genuine and the accounts they give are factual unlike alot on Google , you'll be fine just listen to your body if you need to rest do so take each day at a time and as hard as it may seem find something to smile about , sending best wishes Dawne 

Bigfeet
Posted by

Thank You so much Dawned

That as really reasurred me, I am going to order me those Xliymelts tomorrow as I have heard they are fab for dry mouth,could I ask if you had to have a peg?as they have told me I have to have one.

Thanx again

Dawne 65
Posted by

Hi , no I wasn't offered a peg , i was told if I lost to much weight or couldn't eat or take fluids I would need a nose feeding tube , so far I'm managing food ,small amounts but liquidised , I take two paracetamol about 30 mins before eating , and regulary wash my mouth out with salt water , I will say it's uncomfortable to eat I have to stop and rinse my mouth every few mouthfuls ,I was lucky to only lose 4 kilo during treatment , I also take two ensure drinks a day to boost calories and nutritional needs , but there are plenty on here who can advise about pegs