I have been looking at this forum for weeks trying to work up courage to join, the reason is my husband has recently been diagnosed with Pt1 G3 in citu bladder cancer, non invasive, one of the various tumours found was aggressive so the surgeon has said that he needs to check again before offering the bcg treatment in 4-6 weeks to make sure no cancer is present otherwise we might be looking at bladder removal. This seems really radical to me & I’m wondering if this is a normal statement for them to make, just in case. My husband won’t really talk about it & doesn’t like me to either but it’s really difficult & one of my concerns is that it’s 5 weeks tomorrow since his Turbt , should things be done before 6 weeks or is that just for a second Turbt the paperwork states a cystoscopy although the specialist said operation at the appointment so I’m not sure what this procedure is going to be. I am going to phone the hospital to clarify but wondered if anyone else can advise.
Hi Roxette and welcome to the group. Hopefully we may be able to help with your concerns. Firstly, doctors try and give worst case scenarios, so try not to look too far ahead just yet and take things a step at a time. It takes about 6 weeks for a TURBT wound to heal, so nothing will be done within six weeks. This is normal. The cystoscopy may be a flexible cystoscopy just to look inside the bladder. If he was told operation, then more likely to be a rigid cystoscopy. This is a second TURBT, but usually not as severe as the first. Again, this is normal practice. The next step may be BCG. There can be good results with this treatment. Please feel free to ask anything you like. I hope all goes well. Best wishes.
Best wishes to All,
What is a Community Champion ?
I should have added, please come and join us in the Bladder Group . There are many of us who have been through this. Click the link to get to the group and post any questions there. Best wishes.
Thank you so much for your response it was very helpful I’m just a bit worried because I thought 6 weeks is the time limit for the second type of treatment to begin & I’m worried because the tumour was aggressive I just imagine it going invasive if it’s not checked.
I was diagnosed with bladder cancer last year in Aug , after having agressive chemo and 3 TURBT operations it is now come to a full bladder removal which is happening on the 6th March
I was also shocked at the radical suggestion, but in the end everything we have tried hasnt worked so now its the only option I have , both you and your husband will face many choices going forward and I do encourage both of you to be open and communicate with each other. Keep me posted as to what they find. I cannot comment on the process as I live in South Africa and they work a little different here.
I'm sorry to hear that, I know it’s not the best news but as I’ve said to my husband if it means saving your life then there can be no hesitation. I would hope that he can at least try the bcg treatment but we will have to see. I phoned the hospital today & was advised that it will be a second turbt in the next few weeks to see if the cancer has come back, so it’s a waiting game again but I will keep you posted, thank you & all the best to you.
If you have any questions about Macmillan, or would like to talk to someone about cancer, we have a team of experts
who can help.
© Macmillan Cancer Support, registered charity in England and Wales (261017), Scotland (SC039907) and the Isle of Man
(604). Also operating in Northern Ireland. A company limited by guarantee, registered in England and Wales company
number 2400969. Isle of Man company number 4694F. Registered office: 89 Albert Embankment, London SE1 7UQ. VAT no: