New to the site

If you've just joined up and aren't sure where to start, this is the group for you. Tell us a bit about what brings you here, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Someone will be on hand to welcome you and point you in the right direction

I’m looking for advise on bone pain caused by filgrastim injections please

Kay2
Posted by

My son 23 is suffering really badly tonight with pain in his bones particularly lower back and legs.  He is day 11 of cycle 1 and I’m not sure what to do. Thank you

Kay2

toxophilite
Posted by

Hi  

Welcome to the community. Sorry you have had to come and find us - I'm sure you are going through hell right now.

Yes, the pain in the large bones is most likely from the Filgrastim. Nasty stuff, but it does work. What worked for me - hot bath, and I had to ask for 30mg cocodamol. If you don't have any, then try alternating paracetamol and ibuprofen, so he takes something every 2 hours. Do remember to have him check his temperature first though, as these can mask a fever. His team will be able to prescribe stronger stuff if needed. Next cycle, start the pain relief along with the injections, as it's easier to stay on top of that way. Also plenty of fluids. Hot water bottle - I often used a microwave hot pack.

There is a soft tissue sarcoma group, you can find it here. And also Friends and Family, which may be somewhere you can get support for yourself too - here.

And a massive hug to both of you!!

xx

Karen

Kay2
Posted by

Thank you so much.  I have been reading on various websites that Clarityn can also help? Just not sure about interaction with other medication.    I think it will be a sleepless night tonight. Really appreciate your kind reply, thank you 

Kay2

toxophilite
Posted by

Oh, yes. I forgot about the Clarityn. But if you get the generic with the ingredient Loratadine it's a LOT cheaper. And it shouldn't cause any problems, but you might want to check, as your sone is likely on a different chemo to what I had.

Please make sure you look after yourself as well!!

Hugs xx

Karen