New to the site

If you've just joined up and aren't sure where to start, this is the group for you. Tell us a bit about what brings you here, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Someone will be on hand to welcome you and point you in the right direction

Fistula/Bowel Cancer

Northwalian
Posted by

An mri in July 2017 confirmed presence of an anal fistula (inner buttock to sphincter) Had been visiting GP with irregular bowel habits, blood slime etc throughout summer blamed on fistula and treated for ibs.  Fistula surgery in September 2017 fistula was drained. Two weeks later lump developed inside fistula returned to hospital they said it was ''overgranulation'. Lump continued to get painful. Emergency admission to Hospital during Christmas holidays. Abscesd suspected...tSurgery delayed to await an mri scan. MRI mid January. Still in dreadful pain.Routineclinic appointment in February resulted in emergency op turned out to be cancer.  biopsy turned out to be bowel cancer not a skin type cancer as expected. A further CT scan revealed s primary tumor 7 inches inside rectum (probably seeded fistula cancer after fistula surgery) Treatment plan I had colostomy in march,, 6 weeks of chemo/radiotherapy from April and have just started 12 weeks of oxy/cap chemotherapy before surgery to ''take it all away'. Pain only eased during last weeks of radiotherapy.  I was wondering if anyone was going through a similar thing?

latchbrook
Posted by

Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community although I'm very sorry you've had to join us.

Can I point you in the direction of the bowel cancer group which is a support group for anyone affected by bowel cancer to come together, share experiences and get support. If you click on the link I've created it will take you to that group. Once you've joined you could click on start a discussion, near the top of the page, and then copy and paste your this question.

I'm sure there'll be others in that group who will have had similar experiences to you or are just starting their chemo journey too.

All the best x