New to the site

If you've just joined up and aren't sure where to start, this is the group for you. Tell us a bit about what brings you here, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Someone will be on hand to welcome you and point you in the right direction

First chemo on Friday

MightyMomma
Posted by

Hi. I'm new to the site. I'm 36 and have a 6 month old and a 5 year old.

I have been diagnosed with invasive ductal Her2+ er+ breast cancer.

I can't belive this is happening. I eat really well and stay active but I try to take solace in the fact it's just my body trying to kill me and nothing I've done personally!

EC chemo starts in two days! I'm scared about not being around to see my children grow up and that I'll be a tried wreck while I am.

I haven't met anyone so far at the hospital that is near my age so am feeling rather alone. 

Dreamthief
Posted by

Evening  

Warm welcome to the club no one wants to join :(

Seems like you have almost the same diagnosis as my better half was given 6 years ago, so hang onto that thought.... details on our profile :)

There is a very active (and friendly) Breast Group you can get involved with - if you click the coloured text link it will take you straight to the June Chemo Club - A monthly breast group discussion where those going through chemo help each other with tips and support.

While you are there do click the 'Join This Group' button under the groups title, so you get the option to start a New Discussion if you want to post an intro and ask any questions.

There is also an Under 50's Breast Group most under 50's join both but the main group is the more active. Chemo can get a bit tiring but I'm sure the other under 50 ladies with youngsters will pass on some tips to help get you through it.

If you have any questions do post them, the only silly question is the one not asked and we're all here to help if we can :)

Hope this is of some help to get you settled in here for the long haul.....

Take care, G n' J

ask123
Posted by

Hi Mighty Momma, I was diagnosed over Christmas, so am a bit far ahead with you, but I know what you mean about being alone.  I haven't met anyone my age, am 47 with 2 children aged 6 and 11.  I think that my loneliness stemmed from the fact that I couldn't find anyone going through the same emotions or diagnosis as mine.  I didn't really know what to do next.  I sought counselling through a cancer charity.  The lady am seeing has helped me incredibly not so much with accepting my diagnosis, but with more practical aspects i.e handling work, children, and perhaps even understanding what I need to do next.  Macmillan site has helped just knowing there are so many women out there, so don't feel quite so lonely, but also with really practical advice.  I've gone into my oncology appointments knowing what to ask and has made me feel stronger.  I am super active, blooming breastfed till my first was nearly one!  Never smoked, hardly drink, and have a very healthy diet.  There are so many positive stories out there, and so many different treatments for breast cancer.  The first chemo is scary because you just don't know how it's going to affect you, I had only mild symptoms of FEC, I had chemo today, my last one is Paclitaxel is in 2 weeks time.  Then on radiotherapy.  Just listen to what your body tells you, and if you are tired do put your feet up if you can, and ask for all the help you can take.  xxx

MightyMomma
Posted by

Thank you for the replies. They have helped me to feel better. I'm feeling quite positive today even though I'll be hooked up tomorrow!

I find being at the hospital the worse part so just being at home helps. 

Take care everyone xxx

ask123
Posted by

Hope all goes well today xx

MightyMomma
Posted by

Thank you xx

I'm at home now and feel OK. Just had beans on toast. Worried in case it doesn't last, but enjoying feeling very normal xxx