New to the site

If you've just joined up and aren't sure where to start, this is the group for you. Tell us a bit about what brings you here, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Someone will be on hand to welcome you and point you in the right direction

DCIS and LoRis trial

oliveoil1964
Posted by

Hi everyone. I was diagnosed with intermediate grade dcis just before Christmas. I am due to see the Consultant this coming week and wondered if anyone had opted to join the loris trial?

KTatHome
Posted by

Hello oliveoil1967, 

Welcome to the online community, my thinking is, that the cancer research site has information about the Loris trial for breast cancer. Im a melanoma patient so I had to look it up. I wondered if posting in the very active and friendly Breast cancer group would get you a quicker response, just click on the the link where you could copy and paste your post. Maybe a little introduction of yourself to the group or in your profile might also hit the spot to get you friendly with that group.

Best wishes

Dreamthief
Posted by

Hi  

Noticed you joined the Breast Group but I can't recall anyone there mentioning the LoRis trial although as KT says you should start a discussion and ask to find if anyone else has joined the trial ?

There are quite a few videos here on the Birmingham Uni LORIS website you can have a look at which may answer a few of your questions.

Seems the biggest concern is if you are put onto the non surgery arm of the trial are you monitored often enough to spot any changes between intermediate to high grade early ?

My wife had High Grade DCIS which was also found to be ER/PR+ and also HER2+ positive which needed surgery, chemo, herceptin, rads and 5 years of tablets - So DCIS isn't always as innocent as they quote  :(

Have you had any other information back yet regarding your biopsy results ?

G n' J

oliveoil1964
Posted by

Hi G n' J

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post and for the link, it was really helpful. I am sorry to hear of your wife's DCIS journey, I hope that she has now recovered and is well.

You are right about concerns regarding being just in the 'active monitoring group' of the Loris trial, I am trying to be objective at the moment, but its difficult as there are so many conflicting medical 'opinions'.

I am due to see the Consultant this Wednesday, so hopefully I will find out more re:biopsy results, all I was told was that it is low - intermediate grade DCIS, that its small and in one area, nothing else. Hopefully a storm in a teacup!!

Best wishes to you both

Wendy

Dreamthief
Posted by

Hi Wendy  /   

Hope your consultant meeting went well with no scary final biopsy surprises ?

Finger crossed you also got any questions answered to make the best choice for you regarding the LORIS trial.

Best wishes, G n' J

oliveoil1964
Posted by

Hi G n' J,

Hope you are well. Had the meeting today and he only just re-iterated the original biopsy report - nothing else. Because the amount of dcis is small and in one place I have decided to opt for the trial, however he said I can change my mind at any time. So I now have to wait and see if I get accepted and what arm I am put in, although I would prefer active monitoring. It's all very confusing. 

Best wishes

Wendy