New to the site

If you've just joined up and aren't sure where to start, this is the group for you. Tell us a bit about what brings you here, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Someone will be on hand to welcome you and point you in the right direction

Travel Insurance

Spooooky
Posted by

Hello, I am a newbie in this community. On 5th September 2017 I was diagnosed with a 5.6mm lesion on my tongue which is cancerous. I had a CT scan which showed no spread of cancer to neck and chest (thank goodness). I am having surgery on 8th November 2017. I am going on holiday for 6 and a bit days. I am having trouble obtaining cheaper travel insurance from the UK to Europe excluding Spain. I had one quote and that was for £492.88 and that is something I cannot afford on my Employment Support Allowance. Can anyone give me any suggestions please? Many thanks.

gregm
Posted by

Hi Spooky,

I found Staysure very good - for £289 I got annual insurance, worldwide. I would expect it to be very much cheaper for a week away. Others regularly recommend Eurostar insurance (totally separate from having to travel with them). There's also an insurance blog, I'll dig out the link to it and send another response

Greg

gregm
Posted by

Hi Spooooooooky,

This is the link to the long blog where people give their experience/recommendations.

Let me know if you don't find what you need and I'll see if I can find some better info for you

Greg

Spooooky
Posted by

Hi Greg,

Staysure won't cover at all. I called them and told them that I have pre-existing medical conditions and now the tongue cancer and awaiting surgery. They said they couldn't accept it.

Thanks for the link to the blog.

gregm
Posted by

Hi Spooky,

Sorry that suggestion was no good. Do let me know how you get on with your search, and if you don't find what you need don't hesitate to come back to me and I'll roll up my sleeves another turn and see what else I can do to help.

Greg

Spooooky
Posted by

Hi Greg,

Found another insurance company who can cover me for £369.54. 

Seems I can't get one for lower than £300.

Tried InsuranceWith as well and they refused, all because I'm awaiting surgery.

Such a nightmare!

gregm
Posted by

Hi,

Can you list the ones you've tried?

Greg

Spooooky
Posted by

HI,

No need to find out for me now.

Found one - Insure and Go £197.28.

Happy days!! Lol.

Much thanks for your help.

gregm
Posted by

I hope you have a lovely time,

G.

hope58
Posted by

Excellent, I was about to suggest goodtogoinsurance.com Worked for me. It was suggested to me by my IFA so that's why I went to them. Well it's there for others in this group. Take care and have a great time.