New to the site

If you've just joined up and aren't sure where to start, this is the group for you. Tell us a bit about what brings you here, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Someone will be on hand to welcome you and point you in the right direction

chemo from an emetophobe's point of view

Boffin
Posted by

so on the 1st June I had a full hysterectomy and a staging laparotomy. I had everything removed as well as the large complex cyst that was the very reason for the op. Pathology came back last week to reveal cancer cells present on the botttom of the cyst and the ovaries. my surgeon is pretty certain he's removed all the cancer but as a precaution I'm having 6 cycles of chemo as soon as I am recovered enough to start. I am 41 and the fact this clear cell carcinoma was found so early and removed means I am stage 1 c. and chemo at this stage is hopefully a precautionary measure.

My biggest fear however isn't the cancer or the possibility of it still being inside me, it's not the fact I need the chemotherapy. My biggest fear is that il be sick. See I suffer from emetophobia and this is the fear of being sick. I've had it since I was a child and I've had CBT to overcome it. I take anxiety meds for my anxiety. I know that the chances of the chemo making me vomit are extremely high despite the anti sickness drugs and this fills me with dread. If anyone has any advice or is going through the same I'd be grateful to hear from you x

Thanks for listening.

rily
Posted by

Hello Boffin and welcome to the community. Good to know that the offending bits have ben removed. I must admit I did not know of emetophobia and had to look it up. To try and reassure you, with my experience of chemo, the nurses do everything they can to explain things and put you at ease. You may like to post in the Ovarian Group where the ladies who have experienced your particular chemo may be able to offer advice. Hope all goes well for you. Best wishes.

Boffin
Posted by

Many thanks I will do xxxx