New to the site

If you've just joined up and aren't sure where to start, this is the group for you. Tell us a bit about what brings you here, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Someone will be on hand to welcome you and point you in the right direction

Comfort

Littlemurf
Posted by

Hi, Im a newbie on this site but I wondered if anyone knew of any soothing and comforting audio books on CD which we can play to our mum? These can be fiction, fact or religious.

My mum is dying from Bile Duct Cancer and as she is deteriorating rapidly, there are days where she cant get up but wants to listen to something for when she cant sleep.  I just thought it might be nice to find something that she could take great comfort in.

Any suggestions would be very welcome. Thanks

Kalliope
Posted by

Hello Littlemurf,

Welcome! I am so very sorry to hear about your mum. How thoughtful of you to look into something that she will enjoy at such a potentially overwhelming time. I am a huge fan of audio books and they have been a key thing in helping me to cope with lots of situations.

I often find my favourite audio books are down to the narrator; in the wrong hands (or voice) an excellent book can become pretty awkward. I like Juliet Stevenson who has read a lot of great books, and Rosamund Pike does an excellent Pride and Prejudice. For some reason I can't for the life of me think of anything else off the top of my head! If you use an online audio book service like Audible or E Stories (they have apps or can be downloaded to a computer or device) you can listen to snippets to get an idea of what they are like to listen to. These are also good because you can download them straight away or even stream them if your mum has wifi; no time wasted waiting for deliveries or having to go to the shops when time is of the essence.

I find familiar stories better for when I am struggling to sleep because they can become quite soothing, and I can fall asleep without noticing, and without worrying about missing a key detail in a story. 

While you are here, I would like to point you toward the Family and Friends and the Bile Duct Cancer groups. These could be useful for you to connect with other people with similar experiences to you. You may find there are more places that will be of help to you once you have had a chance to explore the community.

Good luck book hunting, and I hope that your mum gets as much pleasure out of the audio book s as I do.

Bodach
Posted by

Hi

Can't think of any titles off hand mainly because everyone's  taste in reading is unique. 

Have you tried your local library for inspiration and to look at their catalogue.

My local library service has online membership and gives you access to ebooks and audio books the books are free to rent and the books expire after 7 - 14 or 21 days with no overdue charges.

The scheme is run by overdrive audiobooks

Possibly your library will be part of the same scheme and will have what you are looking for 

Hopefully this might be of intetest

Ian

Kalliope
Posted by

A great suggestion Ian, I had forgotten about this; our borough libraries do something similar too. It must be becoming more common now. 

I also just had a thought: the BBC have quite a few Podcasts and radio programmes available to listen to on demand. I have an iplayer app on my tablet that means I can listen to stuff whenever I want. It also means that I can listen to my favourite things at a time that suits me better. Some of them can be downloaded and then they expire after a few days

Littlemurf
Posted by

Thank you for your suggestions and whilst I thought they were both great I'm not sure the library would have worked as we live over 300 miles apart. 

Anyway I think I am too late as sadly we've had "the call". The one where you need to get there asap?

Much appreciated of your time to respond with your ideas. 

Bodach
Posted by

So sorry that you have received the call so soon, this must be a very distressing time for you my thoughts are with you.

Ian

Kalliope
Posted by

I am so sorry to hear that you have received the call so soon, I too am thinking of you and send my love. Travel safe x x