New to the site

If you've just joined up and aren't sure where to start, this is the group for you. Tell us a bit about what brings you here, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Someone will be on hand to welcome you and point you in the right direction

Hair colour before chemo? Still waiting for confirmation of cancer, so can Imstill use it?

Lizziebet
Posted by

Hi - after a visit to A&E on Friday for major fluid retention and sudden pain, it seems I might have ovarian cancer, but the results won't be confirmed til a laparoscopy scheduled for March 6th. If it is cancer, I will need several goes of chemo then a full hysterectomy, but none of this will happen for several weeks, if at all.  Can I colour my hair now, before any of this, or do I risk anything doing so? Last did it before Christmas and use L'Oréal, have once for ten years. Might seem a daft thing to worry about, but I will colour it now if I can, before my op. However, if it were to mean I can't have chemo later, I'd be really stupid to do it, so wondered if you can advise? 

gregm
Posted by

Hi Lizziebet,

Sorry to hear you might have ovarian cancer, I had a germ cell cancer 5 years ago, and I hope yours is as treatable as mine was. My chemo was BEP which may well be the same as you'll be getting.  There's not much you can't do once on chemo - other than avoiding infections, you can try and live as normal a life as possible. My ward (Addenbrookes D9, Cambridge) even had an alcoholic drinks trolley provided by the WRVS every Friday at 10am. Chemo side-effects can leave you sensitive to some things so far better to do it now than during I think.

So there's no-harm, and every benefit to morale, of colouring your hair - go for it!

Greg

Lizziebet
Posted by

Brilliant, Greg, thanks for such an upbeat and rapid response - love the idea of the drinks trolley, and planning to do it tomorrow on that basis! So glad all went well for you. (By the way, what is BEP chemo?!) 

Crystaljuju
Posted by

Hi  

Im sorry your facing this possible diagnosis. My fingers are crossed for you.

I've coloured my hair forever and my only regret was that I spent alot months before my hair fell out after my second chemo. I did have breast cancer. Chemotherapies all have different affects. 

Colouring  your hair now won't have any detrimental affect on you being able to have chemo so if it makes you feel good then go for it.

love

Julia x 

gregm
Posted by

Hi,

I suggest you do the dinks trolley tomorrow as well ;-)

Don't worry about chemo types yet - there's more types than shades of hair colour in the L'Oréal range.

If its ovarian cancer, and when you know the treatment suggested, then we can help on specific advice. Until then we'll just be talking about Chocolate Cherry when you're actually going to use Havana Brown.

Take care,

Greg

Lizziebet
Posted by

Great news, thanks for that! Hope all is still good with you and thanks for the speedy reply.