New to the site

If you've just joined up and aren't sure where to start, this is the group for you. Tell us a bit about what brings you here, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Someone will be on hand to welcome you and point you in the right direction

possible lung cancer?

mumof229
Posted by

First of all I apologize if this isn't posted in the right place but I'm at an absolute loss at the moment!

I'm concerned I may have lung cancer, I'm not a drama queen or somebody who googles there symptoms until they convince themselves they have a serious illness. I spotted the signs a couple of months ago due to watching my granddad being diagnosed and pass way from lung cancer nearly 8 years ago now.

I have had a permanent cough since Sept that is getting worse, I have chest pain and breathlessness, weight loss and loss of appetite, night sweats (waking up drenched), absolutely exhausted all the time no matter how much rest I get and generally feeling unwell.

I've had 2 lots of oral antibiotics from my doctor and 3 IV due to appendicitis in November. I feel like my doctor isn't taking me seriously and keeps fobbing me off, he has mentioned possible asthma a couple of times and I was given a blue inhaler which doesn't help.

I feel on the point of a breakdown with my symptoms, they are affecting my whole life and I am becoming increasingly frustrated and concerned. I feel like I am not being listened to and do not know where to go now.

There is a history of cancer in my family, both my grandparents and parents have had cancer and I have previously smoked.

I know this is a site for people who have cancer/ have loved ones with cancer and I don't want to cause offence or upset or annoyance in any way but I'm just looking for some advice/suggestions on what I should do now with my worsening symptoms and imcompent doctor!

rily
Posted by

Hi mumof229 and welcome to the community. No need for any apologies here as we all understand the distress of worrying about cancer. We have a group here where you should get some advice from people with experience of this, Lung Cancer Group . Click the link and join the group and you can post your concerns there. You could copy and paste your above post in the group. Also on the right hand side of that page you will see a link to Ask a Lung Cancer Nurse. You could also post your question there where  you will get advice from an expert. Hope all goes well. Best wishes.

Dreamthief
Posted by

Hi  

You would have thought after trying all the antibio's and inhalers your GP would have referred you by now :(

You need reassurance and something nasty hopefully ruled out and this can only be done by checking you out more thoroughly.

If this was me I would be seeing a different doctor and getting a second opinion by now. Don't feel you are going behind their back - getting second opinions is common practice and usually gets results.

Time to get assertive - 'The loudest chick gets fed first ' ?

Good luck with any tests you may be put forward for (eventually)

Best Wishes, G n' J

MyButterfly
Posted by

Hi

I can only share my experience as my mum is currently diagnosed with terminal lung cancer.

I have had rib pain and finally went to our doctor (I just saw whoever was on shift, not my gp) yesterday. I explained my fears. He examined me thoroughly and although he said I may just have rib pain and that this was most likely, he referred me for blood test and chest X-ray. These were done at the small local hospital the same day. Awaiting results by Friday and painkillers in the meantime.

Please don't give up, you could see another doctor and you might specifically ask for referral. 

mumof229
Posted by

Thanks dreamthief

I definitely feel that it needs to ruled out, both my grandparents, and my parents have had cancer as well, so its worrying me.

I am going to ask to have a CT scan, my granddads lung cancer and my fathers kidney cancer were both missed until CT scans were done, my granddad had symptoms for 2 years but due to dementia he couldn't explain his symptoms.

I naturally hope I'm wrong and I have just a very nasty infection but my gut is telling me I'm right :-(

mumof229
Posted by

Thank you mybutterfly and sorry to hear about your mum. I am definitely going to ask for a referral.

I had a chest xray in Nov, after being rushed into hospital  with appendicitis but theres no record of the results....

isitokay
Posted by

Hi Mumof229

NICE guidelines say that if you have any chest problems and have been or are a smoker then GPs should refer patients for an x-ray immediately. Your GP is incompetent as you say and is actually liable for disciplinary action by not referring you.

Ring and ask to speak to your GP and say you've read the NICE guidelines and are concerned he hasn't followed them. That should do it.

If he's a real idiot then you'll need to officially ask for a second opinion which you are entitled to - and see another GP asap.

Try not to worry, I really hope you're wrong on your gut instinct, but do persist until you are checked out.

mumof229
Posted by

thank you isitokay

I've just spoken to my doctors and they have managed to track down my xray from Nov but the doctor hasn't looked at it yet!

I think I'll still be taking your advice though! It was nearly 2 months since that xray

Also just started coughing up pure blood and then randomly had a nose bleed :-(

Dreamthief
Posted by

Hi  

Whoa!  That sounds worrying :(

It may be that the blood you coughed up is from your nose as some probably trickled down your throat. Unless you actually coughed it up well before the nose bleed started ?

By doctor if you mean your GP they may not be qualified enough in this area to check it themselves, so may refer the xray image back to the radiography dept for a closer look.

Did you seek advice about the blood, and how are you at the moment ?

G n' J

mumof229
Posted by

Dreamthief

Hi  

Whoa!  That sounds worrying :(

It may be that the blood you coughed up is from your nose as some probably trickled down your throat. Unless you actually coughed it up well before the nose bleed started ?

By doctor if you mean your GP they may not be qualified enough in this area to check it themselves, so may refer the xray image back to the radiography dept for a closer look.

Did you seek advice about the blood, and how are you at the moment ?

G n' J

Very worrying dreamthief :-(

I coughed up the blood around 90 minutes before the nosebleed and then coughed up more blood at about 10pm last night and woke up in the night gasping for breath, my 6 month old was crying to be fed and I couldn't even get down the stairs for a bottle for her :-(

I'm currently in the walk in centre because I cant get into my doctors 

Michael admin
Posted by

Hi ,

I'm glad that you're seeing someone about your symptoms.
I have spoken to one of our Macmillan nurses about your posts and she suggests that...

you let your GP know about the bleeding and if happens  out of hours and you are concerned then please ring 111.

The nurse also adds that - There are some good NICE guidelines for GPS for suspected referral that might help you to have a look at before you speak to the GP.

I hope this helps, and best regards to you.
M.