Breast Cancer - stage 1 diagnosed a few days ago.

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 59 subscribers

In a bit of a whirlwind right now, I was diagnosed with stage 1 breast cancer on Monday (I’ve suffered with cysts on my right breast for 5 years) I guess like us all I just never expected cancer!

I am totally overwhelmed with information but within hours I had all the tests needed for consultant to put together my treatment plan.  I have had several biopsies & a micro bubble test, I go back in next week to discuss my treatment plan.

As I have fairly small boobs and my Tumor is measuring 37mm the surgeon said she would need to probably do a full mastectomy & reconstruction using my tummy fat.... I know I am lucky that my cancer is treatable & curable but how do I even start to comprehend a mastectomy? My surgery is likely to take place in a few weeks & I am beyond petrified of the op, the pain, recovery, bring forced into early menopause with medication & then radiation & possible chemo....  everything seems completely surreal to the point that when o talk about it’s like I’m talking about someone else!! 

I have the most amazing partner, friends & family to support me but I am very good at hiding my feelings & holding it together.... in all honesty I’m utterly terrified of these next few months, I’m usually so fit & healthy that being the person out of action is totally alien to me!! 

I know these feelings will be perfectly normal but how do I rationalise my anxiety? 

I have a list of questions for my nurse & I have started to make a list of bits il need for after the op but any advice for my hospital stay would be welcome  - I am naturally an organised person so this is helping keep me focused! x

• Hi  and welcome to the Online Community, although I am always sorry to see folks finding us and so sorry to hear about your breast cancer diagnosis.

A cancer diagnosis brings a lot of confusion, stress and many questions but talking with other people who are on the same type of journey helps a lot.

The Community has various cancer specific support groups and I see you have joined our Breast cancer group, this is the place where you will connect with others walking the treatment journey both as patient or family.

Follow the link I've created above then introduce yourself and post questions selecting '+New' or '+' (depending on your device) you can also join in with existing discussions by clicking on 'reply'. 

The Macmillan Support Services provides lots of information. The service is open every day 8am to 8pm and it's free to call on 0808 808 00 00 have a look by Clicking here for more information.

You can also email them, use the online chat and we also have our Ask an Expert section, but do allow two working days for replies from our expert team.

Our Online Information and Support Section  is a good place to find information covering diagnosis, treatments and pages covering most types of cancers.

All the very best.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge