End of life concerns

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 60 subscribers

Hi I’m new... I’m hoping for some advise and support if possible.

My mum has been given approx 3 months after fighting endometrial cancer for two years. It’s grown back in her para aortic lymph nodes and she also has a brain tumour in her frontal lobe, although this is shrinking after radiotherapy. 
Mums mobility has been deteriorating for a few weeks and is now unable to walk, she came out of hospital last Sunday so we can care for her at home, we’re waiting for a care package to be put in place, which is proving to be difficult as we live quite rural. She has a catheter and doesn’t have much control over her bowel movements either.

She is on slow release morphine drinks twice a day with oromorph as and when needed.  
My main worry is, if carers can’t be found to come to give personal care to my mum, my dad and I are managing between us at the moment but when she deteriorated further who will come and help us? What are our options?

Also, if her pain is bad and we seem unable to control it with the drugs we have at home, who do I call if it is out of hours? The GP or the District Nurses? We have morphine injections at home if needed.

I feel a bit overwhelmed by it all and would feel better if I knew who to call and when. My mums only request is that she is pain free and I want to make sure she is as comfortable as possible.

Thank you x

• Hi   and welcome to the Online Community, although I am always sorry to see folks finding us and so sorry to hear about your mum’s diagnosis.

Not that I was in the exact same position but we were always told to contact the clinical team who was in charge of proscribing the specific meds or out of hours if required. 

A terminal cancer diagnosis brings a lot of confusion, stress and many questions but talking with other people who are on the same type of journey helps a lot.

The Community has various support groups so can I direct you to our Carers only, Family and friends and Supporting someone with incurable cancer groups a great benefit as you will connect with others supporting family through their cancer journey 

Follow the links I've created above then choose ‘click to join' when the page opens.

You can then introduce yourself and post questions selecting '+New' or '+' (depending on your device) you can also join in with existing discussions by clicking on 'reply'. 

The Macmillan Support Services provides lots of support and information. The service is open every day 8am to 8pm and it's free to call on 0808 808 00 00. Clicking here for more information.

You can also email them, use the online chat and we also have our Ask an Expert section, but do allow two working days for replies from our expert team.

All the very best

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge