I feel bad for worrying when I dont even have cancer

• 3 replies
  • 58 subscribers

My sister was diagnosed with CML seven years ago, and I am her bone marrow donor. This does not affect me but it does emotionally because I am always so worried about her, and I hate seeing her in pain. She tried to take her own life two months ago, and I have been reeling from the after effects ever since, and am so worried she does not feel I am there for her enough. I wondered if anybody had any advice or if there is anyone with who's siblings who have cancer who suffer with this strange form of survivors guilt. I feel a bit pathetic making this all about me when I am not even the one who has cancer, but just wondered if you could think of anything that would help as I am in a very dark place at the moment and I am reaching out.

• Hi  and welcome to the Online Community, although I am always sorry to see folks finding us and so sorry to hear about the challenges you are facing.

First, well done in being her bone marrow donor, having been through two Stem Cell Transplants (often called Bone Marrow Transplants) I totally understand the mental challenges that you, your sister and the family will have had.

Survivors guilt is such a real thing and only a few years back I had occasion to deal with this after two friends died of their cancer.

The Community has various cancer specific support groups and I see you have posted in our Family and friends group, this is a great place where you will connect with others supporting family through their cancer journey.

We do have our Stem cell transplant group where we have some family members of SCT patients post.

The Macmillan Support Services provides lots of information. The service is open every day 8am to 8pm and it's free to call on 0808 808 00 00. Clicking here for more information.

You can also email them, use the online chat and we also have our Ask an Expert section, but do allow two working days for replies from our expert team.

Our Online Information and Support Section  is a good place to find information covering diagnosis, treatments and pages covering most types of cancers.

Always around to help as best as I can

All the very best and virtual ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you so much for your kind message. I have been exploring the Macmillan online community and think it will be brilliant in trying to deal with my survivors guilt. Big hugs back! 

• Under ‘normal’ circumstances I would be recommending check out any Local Macmillan Support in her area or a Maggie’s Centre as these folks are amazing.

But a lot of these services are now virtual and I take part in our local Maggie’s Heamatology Support group and at the moment most are SCT patients.

Keep investigating ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge