Hi all. 

I don't even know if this is the right place to begin. My mom has been diagnosed with terminal cancer of the oesophagus on Monday. She had only been getting 'indigestion' 5 weeks ago, a course of antibiotics did nothing to a suspected stomach infection so an endoscopy 2 weeks ago showed a tumour, a week later confirmed cancer cells and Monday just past, terminal. Naturally, we are all devastated. We have never experienced anyone we know go through cancer so I have no idea about how it's all going to continue except sheer pain and sadness. I have no idea on her entitlement to anything so any advice would be much appreciated. I want her to have the best of everything and anything she's entitled to to make the best of what time we have left. 

Stay safe everyone xx

• Hi Lorzie89

Sorry to hear about your mom. My husband was diagnosed with esophagus cancer which is terminal a year ago yesterday. He is doing fairly well is having chemotherapy at the moment. Have you got a nominated Macmillan Nurse they are really helpful. Ken's nurse helped him to claim Attendance Allowance (not means tested) and a Blue Badge which have both been very helpful. There is lots of help and advice available. Join some of the group's such the Esophagus cancer group, Carers Group. There is lots of support available. Good luck

Sue

• Hi  and welcome to the Online Community, although I am sorry to see you finding us and so sorry to hear about your mum’s terminal diagnosis.

A terminal cancer diagnosis indeed brings a lot of confusion, stress and many questions but I found talking with other people who are on the same type of journey helped a lot.

The Community has many dedicated support groups, I see you have found our Family and friends group. You may also want to checkout our Carers only and Supporting someone with incurable cancer and the Gullet (oesophagus) cancerrain tumour group that Sue has highlighted as you will connect with others supporting family through their cancer journey.

Follow the links I've created above, join the groups, then hit ‘start a discussion’ and you are ready to go.

You could then copy and paste the information from this first post into your new discussion or you can just join in with existing ‘Discussions’ by clicking on 'reply'.

It’s always good to talk, so can I highlight the Macmillan Support Line on 0808 808 00 00 This servicecovers Emotional Support, Practical Information. Clinical Information, Financial Support and Work Guidance mostly open 8.00 to 8.00

All the very best.

• Thank you so much for replying. I'm not very good at talking on the phone about feelings and things so means alot there is this community for me to be able to access. 

Thank you for your help and advice. It means alot to know people are supporting each other. 

Take care xx

• Hi sue

I'm really sorry to hear that. It's just awful news. 

It's all come as such a shock and it's really hard to process. I feel very angry and extremely sad at the moment.

My mom's starting chemo next week and I'm sad she's going to have to shield for 12 weeks, I feel like life is snatching time away from us but I understand the reasoning behind it so we can keep her as safe as possible.

I have joined a few groups on here recommended to me so hopefully there will be lots of people to gain some support from just like you have supported me today. 

Thank you, stay safe.

Laura x