Treatment put on hold due to virus

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 5 replies
  • 60 subscribers

Hi I was newly diagnosed about a month ago and to be honest I feel like I don't know much about it . I assumed I would find out more at each appointment but then came covid 19 ...... and suddenly my ticking time bomb in my breast isn't important any more ! I was due to have my op Thursday 2nd April and they phoned me on Friday to cancel it ! They are giving me hormone therapy tablets and would  like to see me in 4-5 months ! Now I know it's small and apparently slow growing but it's cancer and I would like it out before it decides to take a walk somewhere else in my body ! I know they have weighed up the chance of me getting the virus to the cancer and I know the virus is awful . But  I am scared and I live alone which means I have plenty of time to think about this ! 

• I'm really sorry to hear of your diagnosis which is scary in itself. Fighting Cancer is our natural response and we need treatment to stop it spreading and give us a fighting chance! Many operations, biopsies and Cancer treatments are being cancelled at the moment due to the Coronavirus. We need to challenge this now, please complain to your MP and sign every petition etc.

Newly diagnosed with throat Cancer and trying to get appropriate treatment too x

• I honestly think that it's scary no matter which group you fall into. 

Even though I am "extremely vulnerable", my chemo will be continuing despite the risk that carries of me being exposed to covid-19 (and we've already had 4 cases, including 2 deaths, in an oncology ward here so the risk seems very real).

I think that ultimately all we can do is trust that our healthcare professionals are making the best choices for us under changed circumstances just as we trusted them to make the best choices available when they initially planned our treatment.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis. A cancer diagnosis is always difficult but I think this is a particularly difficult time. 

I think is right about trusting the doctors and nurses treating us to make the best decisions in changed circumstances. I think if I was you, I’d want to understand fully the risks and benefits of hormone treatment versus surgery in early breast cancer. I know that in early womb cancer hormone treatment can be very successful and avoid the need for major surgery. I don’t know about breast cancer but I know some people who do.  Can I suggest you join our breast cancer group? The ladies there might help you explore this important question. 

https://community.macmillan.org.uk/cancer_types/breast-cancer/

Good luck! 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi BellaDellar what a awful news.Did they tell you what to do if you dont agree with the decision?it should be agreed by 2 parties not only by doctors what they want.

You need to do what is best for you not what is an easier solution for them.

I dont know yet about my chemo if will continue but if not I will chalenge the decision.I want to take the risk with the virus.I am incurable have nothing to loose but chemo is helping me.

Some people saying trust the doctors but from my experience not all of them caring or good so if I would you I would get a second opinion or yes write to your MP.

I keep thinking and crying too my mental health is not good because I have no clue whats going to happen and this is cruel.Now they just counting how many people died of the virus but they should also count people who will loose their lives because beeing of the cancer and not giving them the care what they deserve.

• Hi BellaDellar

I have just posted a comment about this on another thread. 

Being Placed on Hormone Therapy While Surgery or Chemo is 'On Hold'

I advocate writing to many MPs and TV News stations.  I have done this today and strongly encourage others to do the same. We have to get a ground swell going. If we don't then cancer patients will become a statistic and put down as collateral damage.

D