Corona Virus and Postponing treatment

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 17 replies
  • 57 subscribers

I have just heard that there could be lots of people having their treatment cancelled.. This has really scared me, I'm already dealing with a terminal diagnosis, the chemo I have is to give me more time to spend with my children.. I understand going to hospital itself is a risk but I'm not ready to die, Surely they dont just have the right to withdraw treatment?

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

im in the same position. Im scared and want to live a bit longer for my kids too. Im supposed to start palliative chemo on the 6th of April and I’m hoping that it still pushes through but also know that if I catch the virus while having chemo would be catastrophic and surely a death sentence. I can only hope and pray that we all, who need the chemo to extend our lives stay safe and are able to fight. I’m praying for you and myself.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

I'm scared too.. Having Cancer was my worst nightmare then along comes the virus and made it worse, Im only 57 and have so much left to do, I need the chemotherapy to keep me alive as do you... I hope God listens because right now I'm not friends with him right now.

• I am halfway through my Radio t & Chemo t.  Every time I go in for treatment (daily, for another four weeks) I fear I'm going to be told it'll have to come to an end.  I am fearful of The Plague risks of  travelling there and being there with all the interactions, but I want to carry on.  If anyone has actually had there treatment cancelled or truncated, rather than just rumors, can they please mention it here so we get an idea of how much it is really going on?  Thanks.

Fortie
  • Hi everyone, it is very confusing and challenging times at the moment and lots of stories are going around. Could I recommend that you try and contact your medical team or your GP to get clear information.

This site is organised into various support groups so we do have lots of groups that are Cancer specific so it would be worth talking with others on the same journey as yourselves.

Our various Macmillan Support Line Services on 0808 808 00 00 will be open tomorrow but you will find these services will be rather busy at the moment.

((hugs)) from a distance.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

Hi Everyone 

I agree with Mike . There are lots of stories flying around. I think to be diagnosed with cancer is bad enough. To be diagnosed at this time of awful uncertainty must be even worse. 

The best thing to do is to get the facts from your GP or hospital team. 

However, there is some general information that might be the starting point for some of these stories. NHS England has issued plans for what to do in the unlikely event that cancer services do have to be curtailed to allow the NHS to respond to the corona virus crisis. 

The most important thing to note is that cancer services must continue to deliver care. It says: “In response to pressures on the NHS, the elective component of our work may be curtailed. However, cancer services will need to continue to deliver care.”

It goes on to set out which patients would be prioritised in the “unlikely” event that cancer services can’t continue to deliver because of supply chain issues or staff shortages. You can read it here:

https://www.england.nhs.uk/coronavirus/wp-content/uploads/sites/52/2020/03/Specialty-guide_Cancer-and-coronavirus_17-March.pdf

I hope this is helpful but I repeat - talk to your own team about what’s happening in your treatment. Oh, and making sure you and everyone you know follows the guidance for staying safe

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

I know exactly how you feel. I just turned 54 and I have a 14 year old with an autoimmune disorder that we are trying to sort out so he doesn’t go blind. I want to be here for him, to help him. I need that chemo and every week that goes by is a week off my life. Hope everything goes well and we can have what we need. I’m sure HE up there is listening. Praying for us both

• I’m one of the lucky one treatment finished on the 27 th of January, but rathen than listen to what other people are saying get in touch with your team , listen to them , I’ll be putting in a prayer for you all every night , it’s scary times right now, praying for you really my heart goes out to you all at this time xx JeanJennie 

• Thanks for the info.  Unfortunately that link come up with "page not found".   DO you know if there is another link to that info?  Might it mean that the guidance may have changed?   Also, could you also give the title of the document and some other keywords/phrases which might lead to a successful search for the document?    

But most of all: thanks for the info.,  it's reassuring.  Let's hope that the guidance has not been weakened since.

Fortie
  • Hello again,

I discover that it wasn't "page not found" but  "Not found.   The requested URL was not found on this server"   Perhaps it means that that link is only accessible to NHS personnel?

Fortie
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Fortiemac

Hi 

Well, well, well. I have the page open on my browser - and that’s the link I copied and pasted. I’ve just tried to find it via a google search and it comes up page not found. I am not sure what to make of that. The journalist in me wants to investigate the story “NHS England removes controversial guidance after outcry from patients and doctors”. 

Things are changing so fast it’s very hard to be sure of anything. If I’ve learned one thing during six years of living with cancer it’s this: take things one step at a time. 

Edit: this is the document title 

Clinical guide for the management of cancer patients during the coronavirus pandemic
    17 March 2020 Version 1