New to the Community

If you've just joined the Community and aren't sure where to start, this is the group for you. Tell us what brings you here, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Someone will be on hand to welcome you and point you in the right direction.

My mums diagnosis

Rosiemoo
Posted by

Hi everyone, I joined the site today, for advice and support. My mum had been tired and had a loss of appetite at the end of last year. In January she had an endoscopy and a scan which said she might have a hernia. I then went away at the end of January for 2 weeks for my 20th wedding anniversary , the day after I got back my sister told me they had found cancer. I went to look at the paper work from the colonoscopy and further scan that had happened while I was away. The primary cancer is in the colon, T4, with secondary cancer in the peritoneal and liver, with a suspect shadow on the pancreas, 5 tumours confirmed altogether. She has also complained about having pain in her eyes for a while and forgets things, I’m worried it may also have traveled to the brain. I took her for a PT scan on the 13th,  She is 80 and only weighs 6 stone, the notes say she will be starting chemo after we speak to the dr on the 25th. I have tried talking to her about the cancer but a few minutes later she will say “I hope they find out what’s wrong with me soon”. I don’t know if she’s in denial or simply doesn’t remember. Sorry for the long post! 

Thehighlander
Posted by

Hi  and welcome to the Online Community, although I am sorry to see you finding us and so sorry to hear about your mum.

As you know a cancer diagnosis can bring a lot of stress, confusion and many questions on all the family but talking with people who are on the same journey can help a lot.

This site is organised into various groups so we do have lots of support groups that are Cancer specific  and also ones that are general Cancer experience groups.

Look through the lists and then join the best groups by just clicking on the link - then choose 'join this group' on the page that opens. You can then introduce yourself and post questions after selecting 'start a discussion' and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

You may find our Carers OnlyFriends and Family and Supporting Someone with Incurable Cancer groups to be good places where you can connect with others supporting family through their cancer journey but more importantly the carers care for each other.

You may find our various Macmillan Support Line Services to be helpful - call them on 0808 808 00 00 This free service covers Emotional Support, Practical Information. Clinical Information, Financial Support and Work Guidance mostly open 8.00 to 8.00 but check the link.

We also have our ‘Ask an Expert’. section where you can post questions to our mostly Volunteer Experts but please allow 2 working days to get a reply.

Talking to people face to face can help a lot so check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area or a Maggie’s Centre as these folks are amazing.

All the very best.

Mike - Thehighlander

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela