Not able to talk about my husbands cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 57 subscribers

I really struggle every time someone asks me about my husbands myeloma. He starts treatment in the next few weeks. Every time someone asks me about him, or offers any kind of support, I just burst into tears. I literally can’t get any words out. I realise I probably need to speak to a professional about this. But I was wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar, and if there are any gems of advice for me. I am 44, my husband is 55. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Roofus. My husband has a different cancer but I know exactly what you are going through. He was diagnosed in July 2019 has had 7 cycles of chemotherapy. At the beginning I could not stop crying if anyone was at all nice to me even people I did not know. It does get better. I spoke to our GP who as lovely. He put me in touch with a counsellor who is very helpful. I feel much more able to cope, although I still shed years at times. Do you have a Macmillan Nurse assigned to you, they are very helpful and support you as well as your husband, may be helpful to get in touch with them. You are not alone. I hope everything goes well with your husband's treatment.

Sue

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Dear, as I’m sure you’ve worked out by now a diagnosis of myeloma is life changing in many different ways, however once active treatment begins things will calm down for both of you as you will be doing something proactive and you will have something to tell anyone who enquires as to your husbands welfare and that will help considerably. It’s important you get support for yourself if you think you need it, check out if there is a maggies centre in your area or a myeloma self help group via myeloma uk. 55 is quite young to get myeloma so it’s important that you get organised to face the challenges that lie ahead, I have a very rare form of myeloma so am not a-typical, but treatments are the best they have ever been for the average patient so there’s lots of hope for you both.

• Hi  and welcome to the Online Community, although I am sorry to see you finding us and so sorry to hear the challenges you are facing.

A cancer diagnosis can bring a lot of stress, confusion and many questions on all the family but talking with people who are on the same journey can help a lot.

Can I first direct you to this link to our very supportive Myeloma group as this will open up your concerns to a wider audience who know exactly what you are going through at the moment.

Just follow the link I have created then hit the ‘Join This Group’ tab just under the main group name, then go to the 'Start a Discussion' tab and set up your very own Discussion and introduce yourself to the group and ask your questions.

As I was the person with the cancer my experience of supporting someone is very limited, although my wife has been amazing over my 20 years. You may also find our Carers OnlyFriends and Family groups to be good places where you can connect with others support family through their cancer journey but more importantly the carers care for each other.

You may find our various Macmillan Support Line Services to be helpful - call them on 0808 808 00 00 This free service covers Emotional Support, Practical Information. Clinical Information, Financial Support and Work Guidance mostly open 8.00 to 8.00 but check the link.

We also have our ‘Ask an Expert’. section where you can post questions to our mostly Volunteer Experts but please allow 2 working days to get a reply.

Our Online Information and Support Section  is a good place to find information covering cancer diagnosis, treatments and pages covering most types of cancers.

Talking to people face to face can help a lot so check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area or a Maggie’s Centre as these folks are amazing.

When you feel up to it try putting some information in your profile. This really helps others when answering. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. Just click on YOUR username, select 'Edit Profile'. Put as much or as little in your profile and you can amend it at any time - you can see members profiles by hitting our forum names.

All the very best.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge