Hair loss

• 5 replies
  • 58 subscribers

Hi can anyone give advice- had 1st chemo 3 weeks ago it's 3 weekly so 2nd due in a few days. Hair had started to really shed yesterday. It's Bob length. Got bit upset although knew it was pretty inevitable. Anyway what's the best thing, as thinking of having a short crop; will this be less noticeable of the hair everywhere?, or will  shaving head be the best option, really don't feel ready for that yet! Or any good care tips- too scared to wash hair cos imagining blocked drain, hair everywhere! etc! Yikes! 

• Hi Alexandra , these questions would be best posted in our Breast cancer group that I see that you have joined.

Just follow the link I have created then go to the 'Start a Discussion' tab and set up your very own Discussion and introduce yourself to the group and ask your questions.

I was on a totally different cancer and treatment journey so actually lost my hair 3 times over two years.......... after the first night when it started to come out I immediately went in the shower and shaved it all off as there was hair everywhere in the bed and in my mouth Disappointed........... once it started to grow back in a hairdresser friend advised me to shave it a few time to allow for an even coverage and now its all back in, slightly thinner but all ok.

All the best.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi 

I see that you joined the community a few days ago and, having posted in New to the Community, my friend Dreamthief recommended that you joined the breast cancer group. I can see that you have now done this and I'm sure if you post this question there you'll find lots of people who will be happy to share their experiences with you.

Clicking on the link I've created will take you directly to the group where you can post your question after selecting 'start a discussion'. 

There is also a dedicated chemotherapy thread within that group and clicking here will take you directly to that.

Wishing you all the best

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Hi Alouise, I got my head shaved at hairdresser, it didn't look as bad as I thought it would and it has grown back in very quickly and looks a lot better than my hair did originally!, it is thicker and kept it's colour. You will get a voucher from NHS towards a wig but I didn't bother with this as I discovered lots of scarves and turbans in a wide variety of styles and colours, long and short on line and they are very attractive.  I was upset at first but I became used to it quite quickly as did friends and family and I think I prefer it short now,,,,, Just 2 minutes to dry! I realise what a big step it is but the fact that your hair is coming out means the chemo is working!  Everyone's experience is different, I hope sharing mine helps. Whatever you decide I hope you are comfortable with the result and you enjoy the many different looks you can get with scarves and hats. I hope your health improves and you have a lovely, peaceful Christmas xx

• Thank you so much for your helpful comments. All the best Heart

Alexandra

• Thanks so much. The kindness of strangers makes me cry! There's so much positivity and your faith in human kind gets restored. All the very best, you have a wonderful peaceful Christmas Heart

Alexandra